Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Sunday, September 26, 2010

LET'S MAKE A DEAL

Recently in the news, the head of the NEW YORK TIMES newspaper, [President ?? CEO ?? Don't remember.] indicated there would come a day when the "Old Gray Lady" (as it is sometimes called) would no longer have a printed/paper version. Eventually the newspaper would only be available through an on-line version.

Makes sense. The "news" content in newspapers -- no matter how big or small the paper -- is now (at least) 24-48 hours old. Basically newspapers now are a source to "review news".

When I came to central Arkansas 14 years ago, I began subscribing on a daily basis to the ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE. I've always had a paper delivered to me, no matter what city I lived in, all my adult life.

The paper is delivered to the yellow box down at the road.

This year I decided NOT to renew my subscription to the newspaper when it came due.

I have had "issues" with the delivery of my daily paper, as well as not caring for the editorial policy on some issues the paper has covered. I also don't enjoy some of the regular columns & the writers, especially in the sports section. [Do you hear me Wally Hall ??!!!]

I have other newspapers I receive, including a daily USA TODAY in the mail & local weekly papers in the form of the NORTH LITTLE ROCK TIMES, as well as the ARKANSAS TIMES.

I am on the computer first thing each morning & several times through out the day. I stay current & up-to-date on all events. I even have web sites with the daily cartoons.

My satellite TV system has all the major national news stations, as well as providing me with local TV stations & their news teams in Little Rock, Los Angeles & New York City.

Why do I need another paper to "review" the news ??

I received my renewal notice in May for the ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE. To renew for a year would cost $180.00. The final date of my current subscription would be June 23rd.

I never received any further word from the newspaper. No "second notice" in the mail. No phone calls.

I began to look forward to not receiving a newspaper. It's part of the morning "routine" I was looking to change up a bit & utilize my time a bit differently.

On June 24th, I planned to remove the yellow "paper box" from next to the mailbox. No newspaper delivery. No yellow container.

But ... I received a newspaper that day. I figured the delivery carrier just made a mistake.

I continued to receive newspapers every day. This went on for several weeks.

I finally did get a second billing in the mail, still with the June renewal date for my subscription.

I also got a phone call from the newspaper, wanting me to renew. It was the first of several calls I received ... all with the same price offer & all with my same response -- was there a "better price" ?? -- since I did not feel I was getting enough value in "old news" for my $180.

All "offers" remained the same, as did my response. I did point out each time to the caller that I was continuing to receive "free" newspapers each day. Did no good. The newspapers were at the road each morning.

Finally, in August, before my weekend trip to Florida, I called the newspaper & told them to STOP sending me newspapers. That did the trick. No more newspapers & I did -- finally -- remove the yellow newspaper box from in front of my house.

I don't feel I was "missing" anything by not having the 20-30 minutes each morning reading the newspaper. Most times in the past, I would also be watching a news station on the TV while reading -- which would be a source of "current news" -- while I read "review news".

Then on Friday night, September 10th, there came a knock at the door. It was a woman from the Sales Department of the ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE. They wanted me back. I told her to "make me an offer", which turned out to be:

** A full size "cartoon umbrella", that was in her hand
** A book of two-for-one coupons for area restaurants
** A "write off" of the $26.00 worth of "free" papers I had received
** A 52 week subscription -- plus two additional weeks "bonus" -- for $119.00

Saturday, I put the yellow paper box back up at the road & my daily newspaper re-started on Sunday.

I got "the deal" I wanted.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on a "deal". I actually liked the D-G when I lived in Ark. I would look at it daily now on the internet but the D-G is one of few big newspapers which charge substanially for internet access. I haven't had a paper delivered in over 3 years now but I read about a dz daily via the net and feel fully informed, especially with my tv tuned in daily to FOX NEWS!!....just saying.


    Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quit getting our paper about a year ago. I don't miss it. I do check in online every morning. It's enough for me.

    Your cartoon in the side panel: I think I'm THE ONE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bubba -- I am glad you stay "informed" in your old age ... thanks to Fox "noise" & the "lame stream media".

    Stacy -- You are way more than "normal". After all ... you have PALM TREES !!!

    ReplyDelete