Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

BAMBOO ... WITH "HELPERS"

Early Monday morning, about 2 A.M., I was awakened by the sound of LOUD pouring rain. For about 25-30 minutes we got much of the rain we have needed for so long.

I got up to close the porch windows, in case the rain was blowing in. It was a wasted trip. There was no wind -- nor thunder/lightning -- & the rain (lots of it) was coming straight down. None in the windows.

The rain helped cool the temperatures a bit. After the heat we have had, a high temperature in the mid-80's feels down right cool. Especially with a nice breeze blowing.

This was a good time to work in the yard, cleaning up some of the bamboo stalks growing in the front yard. I was also trimming some dead wood from the trees there as well.

I was in full yard work mode; yard cart, hand saw & two types of loppers -- regular & ratcheting.

Almost any activity/work in the yard -- as long as there are no noisy gas engines involved -- I will have "helpers" along with "spectators". My three cats take great delight in being involved with any thing they can inspect, smell or lay on, no matter how much their presence, is ... "in the way".

The biggest "invader" -- both in physical size & being there to "help" -- is "Momma Kitty" ... Precious. She's in the photo above, represented by the small piece of gray in the end of the bamboo I am holding. That's her tail.

I have to be very careful, no matter what I'm doing. She loves to grab & hold on to the bamboo, as well as hide in it. I have to keep my eyes on her when she's in the pile of cut bamboo.

Now Wobs, is mostly a spectator. She likes to sit & watch from the sidelines.

There was one non-cat visitor. This small Green Frog was removed from the bamboo -- before either Wobs or Precious "discovered" it -- & released into the ferns near the front door of the house.

When using the yard cart, I have to be extra careful, as that is a favorite place -- both in it & under it -- for Precious to be.

NOTE: Bottom, right corner of above photo, under the cart, through the wheel spokes, with a hint of her orange collar.

If I'm doing some activity where I am not actively using the cart ... well ... the cart becomes "fair game".

Exhausted from all the "helping" she did with the yard work, Precious finds that under the yard cart is an excellent place for one of her "back naps".

What would I do without my "helpers" ??

6 comments:

  1. Lovely frog -- stately bamboo in the cart -- precious "Precious" helping out where she can. You are lucky to have such a guardian. What a useful cart, too. Great design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny. Each time you pointed out whee she was hidden, sure enough, I was then able to see her.

    That frog is nice looking. Would the cats harm it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey --

    Sorry to say, my "Girls" are ALL KAT when it comes to hunting the local yard fauna. What they don't eat, they will "play with" until the victim escapes, or dies.

    They have eaten the meadow frogs previously. Puked them up, too.

    One of my $75.00 geckos escaped last year. I found it dead on the sidewalk the next day ... missing it's tail. Hmmmm ... the usual suspects.

    The Tree Frog would have been fair game if it had been seen by either Wobs or Precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa --

    The yard cart is one of the BEST investments I have ever made. I can haul/move just about EVERYTHING in it. I would not want to try to do without it.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't mean to exclude the Wobbler and Nibblets from your "guardian" list. I am sure they are lurking close by in every picture, watching your every move! Clever you, Bill, to design the cart. It amazes me how we can make our lives easier all by choices. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa --

    The "investmetnt" I made was the $$ I spent on BUYING the cart from a company in Wisconsin. I've had the cart about a dozen years & I think it did an ROI (return on investment) in the first year.

    ReplyDelete