Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

WARMTH & FOOD

It's basically two more months until the "official" start of Spring. Right now, with the cold, damp, gray days -- along with the bouts of snow -- it's that time of year when Spring seems a long way off & those past Summer days -- with all the glory of heat & humidity -- are just a memory.

And don't get me started on my long-ago fading tan. I am truly a white male right now.

The cats -- with their nice thick fur -- are "dressed" for the cold. Still, I've noticed a decided lack of enthusiasm on their part to extend their time outside in the current weather. There is a lot of coming & going, in & out the door. Quite different than in the warmer weather when they DO NOT want to come back inside when it gets dark.

With my reptile collection -- mainly turtles & geckos -- I have to consider the weather conditions most of all. Being cold-blooded, I have to be sure their enclosures in the garage provided the necessary warmth for the animals well being.

Feeding reptiles can be another factor to consider at this time of year. Problems can occur if they are fed & then allowed to cool. Their metabolism will not properly digest the food in their stomach.

Despite the conditions of Winter in Arkansas, I find that my animals -- warm or cold blooded -- seem to do okay. In fact, sometimes I have to be careful NOT to overfeed. All animals can become obese if fed too much, especially without the activity & exercise they would normally get in the warmer weather.

The cats do appear to be a bit more "chunky" & I may have been too good in my efforts to keep the reptiles warm, fed & contented this Winter.

I think once it is time for my annual "Spring Cleaning" in the garage this year, I may find I have over done it when it comes to providing the necessary warmth & food for my animals.

For now ... I'd better be sure the garage door is closed, locked & secure.

4 comments:

  1. It's been cold enough here that even Jack the cat wants to stay in at night. That's cold, folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the gator might be a little much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehehehehehe. . . . . ! I'm speechless! You know how to find amazing pictures!

    ReplyDelete