Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Monday, January 10, 2011

NOW ... MELT !!!

The Weatherman's forecast for snow -- to begin yesterday afternoon -- was right on the money.

About 2 P.M. Sunday, light snow started falling. The snow got heavier as the day progressed & it was still snowing when I went to bed at 8:30 last night.

YES ... I went to bed at 8:30 P.M. Beauty sleep !!

The temperature Sunday was below freezing all day & the snow was accumulating fairly steadily on the ground. The forecast was for 1-3 inches. We had the latter amount by 5 P.M.

With the cold & snow, I get MAJOR activity from the birds coming to visit the feeders in my yard. As soon as it started to snow, I made sure all 11 feeders were topped off with seeds. [I was about to do a refill when the above photo was taken.]

Some birds like to feed off the ground, so I make sure to scatter a scoop of seeds below the feeders as well.

As the afternoon progressed & the snow continued to fall, Nibblets was attracted to all the many birds just outside the porch door. She -- & Wobs, too -- kept wanting to go outside, only to find the snowy conditions not to her liking & wanting to come back in. Repeat ... repeat ... repeat.
_________________________________________________________________

This morning I found there was more than 6 inches of snow covering everything exposed to it. I was also disappointed I didn't have a job to stay home from due to all the snow.

It was a light, powdery snow, probably just what the skiers want. As for me, I don't find ANY snow all that inviting. And with cloudy/cold days in this week's forecast, it will take a few more days for this snow to melt.

After I took this photo of my truck, I brushed all the snow off it & used my snow shovel -- YES ... I have a REAL snow shovel -- to clear away the snow on the sidewalks & clean a path to the road down the middle of the driveway.

Still, even with my dislike for snow, it does look pretty when it first falls on the trees & ground. It sort of reminds me of growing up in central New York State ... where we would have snow like this each year ... FOR MONTHS.

Another "Xmas Card" type photo. Clean, white snow, giving a pristine look to everything & making one forget that it's cold & wet & the slush is just going to freeze into ice at night. Yuck.

Some of the groves of bamboo have clums which are ... "leaning". From my A.M. "inspection" of my property, there does not appear to be any damage to the trees or bamboo caused by the snow, no doubt because this snow fall was "powdery".

Okay. It snowed. It looked nice. Now ... MELT !!!

4 comments:

  1. The cardinals are beautiful. Especially in the snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cardinals are number two in population at my feeders of the "invited" birds. [I don't count all the Blackbirds, feeding on the ground.] It's not unusual to have a dozen or more male Cardinals at any one time & almost as many female Cardinals.

    Number one visitors: Finches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's wrong with blackbirds...they gotta eat too.

    Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1-They are not invited.

    2-They are "party crashers".

    3-They eat all the good seed.

    4-Three hundred at a time are too many.

    ReplyDelete