Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

GET ME BACK TO ... "NORMAL"

I am a decent, law abiding person. I've never done anything against the law.

Wait a minute !! Maybe it would be more truthful to change that last sentence in the paragraph above to: "I've broken the law a few times, but THE MAN has never caught me".

No, no, that's way too dramatic.

Let me try: "I've bent the law a few times -- nothing to cause anyone any physical or financial harm -- but I've never been accused with doing anything which was against the law".

That's a bit better, at least as a stretched ... "confession".

I wrote that because I have to state, for a fact ... I WOULDN'T LAST A DAY IN PRISON !!

I am going stir-crazy just being in the house as much as I am right now. I couldn't make it in a jail cell. I can not wait for the snow to melt & warmer temperatures to return.

I want the temperature to be back in the 90's. I want to be outdoors, wearing flip-flops & shorts, with a nice bronze glow of a tan.

I'd even like wasps & mosquitoes to be buzzing around my head.

I miss Summer time.

I hate Winter.

I hate wearing layers of clothes, even while in the house. It's a necessary form of dress when it is 17 degrees outside -- as it was when I went walking at 9 A.M. today -- but I've got sweaters & shirts on, INSIDE the house, just trying to stay ... "comfortable".

I'm "stuck" here at home. It's cold, there is snow all over the ground & the roads are just now becoming free & clear of ice.

I learned back in the Winter of 1967/68 -- when I first arrived in Memphis, Tennessee -- that the cities of the South have no means of removing snow & ice from roads.

The cities & it's people are dependent on two things -- not necessarily working in tandem -- to "remove" the frozen precipitation: the sun, &/or, warmer temperatures.

It snowed Sunday. Today is Wednesday & FINALLY the roads are clearing off. Even my driveway above -- where I shoveled a "path" on Monday -- is almost devoid of snow, thanks to the sun.

When it comes to Mother Earth, however, the actual melting of the snow/ice on the ground takes a bit longer -- meaning, days -- to melt off, especially when the air temperatures are as cold as they have been; below freezing since Monday.

Wherever the sun can shine on the road, the snow has melted away. Still, areas when the trees cast shadows on the roads, can remain slick & treacherous from ice/snow. I've learned that in the past ... the hard way.

I last drove my truck Saturday morning. I ran the engine yesterday for awhile as it remained parked next to the house. I don't plan on driving again until tomorrow at the earliest. By then, most all the roads should be clear & drivable without worries.

For now, I'll stay "locked up" in my "prison", waiting for the weather to warm, UPS to make it's delivery [due this past Monday. (Woops. Just arrived)], reading newspapers two-days old [delivery issues - weather related] & trying not to eat too much, all the while combined with a lack of excerise & activity outdoors.

I just want to get back to ... "normal".

10 comments:

  1. I'm with you! I hate being cold......I WANT HOT SUMMER SUN! I want to tan, get out and bike and kayak. 67 days until spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first day it gets to 70 degrees, I will be in the lounge chair -- in Speedos. YES... SPEEDOS -- starting my tan !!

    If this weather keeps up, The Girls just may have to go to the Vet for boarding & I'm going to book a week on the Caribbean island of "St. Somewhere".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard today that Florida is the only state with no snow right now.
    "Weiner"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, "Ms.Home-in-the-Keys" ... your source of info is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU - "I have never broken a law". (later retracted)

    ME - Last summer I said "I am so tired of hot weather, I will not complain in the winter".

    I lied. I hate cold weather too. I want warm/hot weather!!

    Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oy. My husband talks of moving to Costa Rica.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful country ... friendly people ... stable government (at least for Central America).

    Also: NO SNOW OR COLD WEATHER.

    Negative: Too many Gringos have already moved down there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While the wife, daughter, and I were away on the cruise it snowed here in South Carolina five inches. It was "cold" down at Key West and the Caribbean. Key West was in the high 60's last Sunday and the average temperature for the rest of the cruise was the low 70's.

    Just got back in and once we get settled in I have some wild stories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bring on the stories of your adventures !!!!

    ReplyDelete