Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Friday, January 7, 2011

NO THANKS !!

As some people know, I was married -- briefly ... four years worth -- in the late 60's/early 70's. I learned the hard way, marriage was not/is not for me.

Even with girlfriends/significant others/"main squeezes", or whatever title applies to relationship partners I've had in my life, I've never been able to sustain that one-on-one thing for extended periods of time.

I can see as I have gotten older, I'm probably not going to have much of a change in my single status as I get into these ... ah ... "golden years". I'm too comfortable & set in my ways now.

I know too, most women would not put up with my semi-selfish life style. Good for them. Avoid the pain for both of us. I'll stick with my cats.

One positive about my single life: I've never had any children ... at least none I know of. [Not that I've ever been sweating a knock on the door from someone I didn't recognize & being greeted as "Dad".]

I've never had a desire for children of my own. It's not in my blood to have "offspring". I wouldn't want a child who had ME for a Father.

Don't get me wrong. I like kids. I have friends with kids who seem to think being a parent is a good idea. I just never wanted any children of my own.

My friend "Bubba" is certainly proud of his two kids. Both are Dentists with families of their own. Bubba now has five Grandchildren.

Being a Grandparent must be like being raising your kids all over again, but maybe without all the blame being placed on you. I'm sure not as much effort has to be put into the "second batch" of your family. As a Grandparent, you can take "short-cuts".

Whatever it takes, I'm sure my friend Bubba is well up to the task of being a Grandparent. He's done it for years now, so I know he's good at it.

Me ?? A Parent/Grandparent ?? No thanks !!

2 comments:

  1. we had a "PICKLES" moment several nights ago. The oldest grandson calls, saying he has to do a school survey project. Wants to know how many books I've read. In my life? Yep. Without giving it serious thought, I (Earl) said "oh, about a hundred". He acted like I am the most uneducated person in the world So he asks his grandmother (Opal) and she replies "at least two thousand or more". I did't have the heart to mention that 1,950 of them were romance novels. My grandkids and you keep me humble....Bubba.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bubba --
    Earl has a friend -- they often share a park bench in the newspaper -- who I often think is me in the comic scenario. One day I hope there will be a good one to put on the blog where we are BOTH in PICKLES.

    ReplyDelete