Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

FRONT PORCH FEATHERS

On the front porch this morning was a large group of bird feathers. Red feathers. Obviously the (remaining) remains of a male Cardinal.

There are three "suspects" as to who killed the bird. Proving guilt may be difficult. I'm also ruling out suicide.

All three possible killers feigned innocence when going out the front door, inspecting the feathers, as if THEY were surprised to find them. They all get a "Not me" look on their faces.

This time of the year is a real conundrum for me. I have three cats who all spend a good part of the day outside. I also have more than a dozen bird feeders in the back yard. I almost feel like I am some sort of "Cat Pimp", drawing in the innocent birds to be "harvested" by the cats.

Actually, many of the bird deaths are accidental. I've seen it happen. There will be literally dozens of birds at the feeders & suddenly something spooks them & they all go flying off in different directions at once.

Sometimes, in all the confusion & turmoil, a bird will fly into one of the windows of the porch on the North side of my house. This will often stun the bird, if not killing it outright by the collision.

Being the smart hunters they are, all "The Girls" recognize & respond to the THUMP sound of bird meeting glass. They will run to the door if inside & run to the accident scene if outdoors. It's NOT to offer first aid, that's for sure.

Dead, alive, or, soon-to-be-dead, the bird is usually transport to the front porch by the cat who gets to the bird first. The other cats become spectators, as if watching from behind some sort of yellow police-tape.

Adding to any "guilt" I may have over this whole bird-cat issue, is the fact I have not yet put out all the remaining bird feeders. Right now I am only using the black-oil sunflower feeders. I still have several feeders to install/set up for offering nyjer seeds.

More feeders = more birds = more "accidents" = more feathers on the front porch.

6 comments:

  1. How are dealing with the squirrel issue and their habit of raiding bird feeders? My wife has several bird feeders in our backyard and until recently the fuzzy rats were robbing her blind. In fact one of the dudes was getting visibly fat from the seeds he was stealing from our house and probably many others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Captain --
    The "cages" on the feeders prevent the GIANT Fox Squirrels from getting at the seeds. They have to settle for the seeds the birds kick to the ground.

    Additionally, there are "baffels" which shield the squirrels from coming up the poles.

    The cages also keep the flocks of Blackbirds from getting at the seeds. They too have to settle for discarded seeds on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post - well written.

    I would think you're taking care of more birds than the number who befall tragedy . . . at the paws of your darlings. Mwa-ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well ... there is the cost associated with all the big bags of birdseed. I have to factor that with the cost of Kat Fud. Since I get no "return" on the seeds, allowing The Girls to grab a few birds, helps even out the total expenses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we're feeding a big % of the birds in Tenn now with sunflower seeds. One of the neighbors grey cats hides under a nearby bush trying to ambush the birds..still trying to determine solution.

    Conundrum...pretty good word for an Arkansas boy..you're way ahead of their curve. Heck, I had to look it up to be sure. Ha.

    Bubba


    Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, were you in a CONUNDRUM about signing your name ?? ... since you wrote Bubba, TWICED !!

    ReplyDelete