Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Monday, November 29, 2010

DUCKS & SPEEDOS

Six days a week I try to do exercise which will get my heart pumping, along with using some of the muscles I still have -- not many -- in some vain attempt to keep from getting fat (again) as well as try to hold back the ravages of getting old. It's a losing proposition, but I keep doing it.

At home, I do stretching exercises, lift weights & do sit-ups. I then hit the road & traverse a course of 2.5 miles; jogging &/or briskly walking, or a combination of both.

Once or twice a week, I usually go to the Hays Center for my exercise. There I have a 60 minute work-out each time; 30 minutes/3 miles on the treadmill & 30 minutes/2 miles walking the track.

Sunday's are my day of rest. No weights, sit-ups or running & certainly no Hays Center. Wearing my stop watch & keeping up a set pace is prohibited. I walk my local 2.5 mile course, enjoying what is (usually) a relaxing, early Sunday morning.

Yesterday I was joined on my early morning walk by two things: A GORGEOUS sunrise, filled with BEAUTIFUL color shades of red, orange & finally, maroon. There was also the sound of so many LOUD gunshots, it sounded like a war already starting between North & South Korea.

It's hunting season in Arkansas & no doubt, the shots I heard where not tanks -- although they sounded like them -- but the sound of duck hunters enjoying themselves. I assume it's not as much fun for the ducks.

My good buddy, Kenny, sent me a photo of a recent duck hunt he was on. I think he indicated they shot/killed 50 or 60 ducks. Kenny is the fella in front, where I hope he stepped in a three foot hole in the water, just after the photo was taken.

Now for all you Northerners ... these are NOT "Red-Necks", although Arkansas sure has it's share of them. These are "Good-Old-Boys". At least Kenny is. [I'm really not sure of the others in the photo.]

Kenny has always told me that there are two major things necessary for "successful" duck hunting; cold weather & plenty of water. Since Thanksgiving day, we have had plenty of both.

Weather conditions good for duck hunting don't really lend themselves to being favorable for outdoor exercises. I had another reality check in that regard this A.M.

Today' weather forecast was for rain. 100% ... all day.

I checked the computer radar before I went for my jog this morning. Lot's of green showing, indicating rain to the West. It looked like the rain was far enough away that I could get in a 30 minute run before the rain arrived here.

NOT !!!

I made it down to the main road -- too far to turn around -- before I got caught in a MAJOR down pour. I'd call it a "frog-strangler". To the "Good-Old-Boy's" it would probably be a "Duck-Drowner".

I had to keep running. It was the only way to keep from getting hypothermia.

I actually had a good work out. My clothes absorbed so much rain, I was most likely caring an extra few pounds of water soaked clothing during the majority of my exercising, adding to the resistance for my jog. [Good thing I know the route. It was raining too hard to see anything with rain covered classes in the downpour.]

As I got closer to home, I realized when I had left, only two cats were inside the house. Nibblets had gone outside earlier, before the rain. She was NOT waiting on the steps or on a window sill when I returned. I knew then a hard-target search was necessary

So ... I had to strip all my wet clothes off me on the porch. I got the umbrella, slipped on my shoes & went outside to look for my cat ... in only my underpants.

NOTE: No photos available of the trek through the yard, in 50 degree temperatures, carrying an umbrella, looking as if I was wearing only "Speedos". (YOU do the "brain picture". It's not pretty, I'm sure.)

I found "Miss Nibs" in the storage building, much drier than me. We both scurried back across the yard -- again, that "brain picture" -- to the house ... Nibblets to get fed & me to have a needed, warm shower.

Tomorrow ... I'll excerise again. Hopefully ... I'll be much drier.

6 comments:

  1. 2 great stories - was the umbrella for Nibblets???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good times, good times.

    I've gone looking for many a cat in the rain . . . but NEVER in my undies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of hunting I have yet to snag any vension from my hunting buddies.

    I'm trying to expand my exercise routine but I pretty much only doing the treadmill three times a week. Sucks but time is a very short item right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking back, I guess the umbrella was intended for Miss Nibs. I was too wet to need it & she ran too fast to the house to keep up with her.

    But, if one is walking around in the pouring rain with next-to-nothing on, an umbrella may be the only indication of some sort of sanity.

    Each year, my neighbors provide me with ground up deer meat, all professionaly packaged, looking as if it came from the meat department at Kroger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, come on, let's have the pictures!! Just imagine what Bubba could do with that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry ... it was way too cold & the rain was coming down much too hard for me to set up a tripod for photos of me walking around the property in bikini underware.

    ReplyDelete