Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Sunday, November 21, 2010

MEOWATHON -- 2010

As usual, I was up early this morning -- think 4 A.M. -- & after attending to my roommates & making the bed, I began my morning as I usually do ... sitting at the computer getting caught up on the news & visiting my favorite -- & informative -- web sites.

I always check the weather -- current & forecast -- to gauge what the next few days will offer. Today there was a RED ALERT for Dense Fog !! Among the warnings listed were the words "Dangerous Driving". I had to laugh. Where were those warnings yesterday ??

Yesterday was the Meowathon 5K run in Memphis. I have been planning on this years race ... well ... since the Meowathon in November 2009. It's an annual event in my life.

I left here about 5:30 A.M. All three cats were in the house, which I felt was safer than one or all of them being outside, on their own for the day. [They have stayed out previously for the day. It's just not "the norm" & something I am not comfortable with.]

I doubt any fog "warnings" yesterday would have prepared me for what I faced in driving on Interstate 40 to Memphis. It was a complete "white out" for almost the entire 130 miles. Other than one or two previous occasions -- in upstate New York -- I have never ever driven in fog as heavy & thick as yesterday.

Despite the fog, I made it to Overton Park in Memphis prior to 8 A.M., more than enough time to get ready for the race at 9 A.M.

This year is the seventh consecutive year for the Meowathon. It's my fourth straight year to partake.

The gazebo in the park is the race headquarters for registration, getting the race T-shirts & "gift bags" from sponsors, as well as the central location for the items in the silent action, the raffle drawings & presentation of race medals for the winners after the race.

The first three winners in the various age groups of runners -- I'm currently in the 60-64 group -- win a medal. I will keep trying, but I don't think it is in the cards for me to ever be fast enough to win a medal. Maybe when I hit 80 years old.

For the silent auction, my Mother (Hilda) in Florida, made this Puss 'n' Boots knitted doll & donated it for the Meowathon.

The winning "bid" was $30. This money -- as with all the funds collected through the race, auctions, etc., -- was for the benefit of The House of Mews.

As for the actual race, I did the 3.2 miles in 30 minutes & 24 seconds. Good enough to place #111th , but not enough to beat another bunch of "old guys" for a medal.

After the race, I did three of my favorite things:
1] I went to Davis-Kidd Booksellers & had an enjoyable time visiting one of my favorite bookstores.

2] I had a wonderful lunch at Mosa Asian Bistro ...

3] with my good friends Marty & Mertle. (Sound like a Vaudeville act.) So good to see them & have quality time visiting with them. I even allowed Mertle to gush over the grand baby photos she brought along to show me. (Actually, she probably has them with her ... always !!)

The drive home in the afternoon was almost as dangerous as in the morning. It was not the fog this time -- that had long ago cleared off -- but all the 18-wheelers & other odd drivers. Interstate driving -- especially I-40 -- is not one of my favorite things to do at this point in my life.

And ... to show how the cats were GLAD to see me -- NOT -- as I opened the door to the house, all three ran past me & out in the yard, as if to point out how relieved they were to again be outside.

I had just busted my hump running for 3+ miles for their kind & this was the thanks/welcome home I got.

Rotten, THUGS !!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Overall, it sounded like a great day. Driving is rarely fun, but when stressful, it's the worst.

    That little Puss 'N Boots is not only cute but quite beautiful. I'm always impressed by people who can create things.

    So, you came in 111th? Or 11th?

    The gall of your cats. I mean really - where's the love?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd finish 11th , only, if there were 11 in the race. I was the # one-hundred & eleventh to cross the finish line this time.

    Actually there is a grand amount of LOVE from my Girls: They love to be fed, love to go in/out of the house, they love to sleep all afternoon & they love to use their claws to climb ... on furniture, legs, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it is in the cards for me to ever be fast enough to win a medal. Maybe when I hit 80 years old.

    I had a similar issue while in the army. Had to finish the two-mile run in a certain time every six months with the times broken down in age groups. Never a fast runner to begin with I kept hoping that I would move up as I got older and the times got longer. Its sucked, as I moved into a new age group I always got slower. Still passed the tests, usually, but it never was fun.

    Now I just run to keep healthy and go as fast and as long as I like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't assume I'll get faster as I get older, I just want the other runners to get SLOWER.

    As it is, the "winners" in my age group all look to be 80 years old already, they have on $200 running shoes & must weigh 135 lbs. They probably do 10 mile runs every day just for "fun".

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I had seen your Mother's knitted cat, I would have out-bid the winning bidder. Awesome! Your cats are nice, too. Great blog. We photographed the event (www.businessvisuals.net). It was a good day for the Mews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin --
    As I wrote the other day, my Mother can knit just about ANYTHING. It is a skill that few have.

    I respect the work & effort Elain puts into The House of Mews & I support it through out the year. The MEOWATHON is a bonus, when hundreds of people get together to help as well with fun, excerise & $$.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete