Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

NO BODY ... JUST AN iPHONE

Being a person of habits, each day I HAVE to do some form of exercise. It doesn't matter what it is -- lifting weights & doing sit-ups, jogging or just going walking (or ... all three) -- I do ... SOMETHING.

A lot of it has to do with my own past medical history. I'm trying to keep all my body parts -- especially the internal ones -- functioning & providing their necessary performance. As the saying goes ... "Use it, or lose it".

As I have written previously, I am going to Memphis Saturday to run in the annual Meowathon 5K. This run is in sponsorship of The House of Mews. It's always a well managed race & a fun event, for a very good cause.

Thus I am not only exercising for my health, but I am "training" (for lack of a better description) to run at a steady pace -- on a course with several hills (just to make it more challenging) -- for about 30 minutes in Memphis Saturday.

I have been doing "spirited work-outs" at the Hays Center in North Little Rock as part of my preparation. I was there this past Friday, Saturday & yesterday. My "plan" is to have one more hard workout tomorrow & then ease off till the Saturday race.

Well, this morning was a time when "planning" met up with "habits".

It started raining in the night. A GOOD, steady rain. The kind of rain that puts water in the creek & finally provides the needed moisture this area of Arkansas has been lacking for quite awhile.

The rain also came with colder temperatures & a stiff wind. Several million more tree leaves have been blown to the ground as a result of the weather conditions. Areas in the yard where I had previously raked/removed leaves, where again covered with them this morning.

The blowing rain & cold did not appeal to the cats this A.M. Nibblets went outside several times -- mostly just on the front porch -- but quickly made the decision to turn around & come back inside.

More of the leaf covered yard is shown above. Note Nibblets in the bottom, left corner, sitting in a brick planter. She's under the roof over-hang, but didn't stay outside very long. She soon joined the other two Girls, who both remained inside this A.M.

Now, normally on a rainy day, I will go to the Hays Center. But with my "planning", I was there yesterday. Today is a "recovery day". Plus -- again, in "the plan" -- I'll be at the Hays Center tomorrow. I'll do my hard workout then.

So, this morning, as is my "habit", I did my exercising ... locally ... in the rain. Make that "wind driven rain". I got soaked, naturally.

I did wear a good layer of clothes, as well as have on gloves. I was nice & warm, if not dry. I did a steady, sustained "power walk" with my head down, trying to avoid the rain pellets in my face.

Naturally, it stopped raining just as I got home.

When out on the roads exercising -- even in a steady rain, -- I keep my eyes alert, not only for traffic, but for anything ... ah ... different. This time of year, with deer hunting season having started Saturday, I'm sure to find deer "parts". It seems to be a custom with Arkansas hunters to discard unusable "parts" of the deer on the side of the road, or in the local creek. Very classy.

What I have not seen -- but am always alert & looking to find -- is a HUMAN body. My neighbor found one a few years ago. Some of this rural area is good for "disposal" of remains, not just of the deer variety.

What I did find today was an iPhone. Head down, rain in my face & there was the phone on the side of the road. Bingo.

I have the iPhone hooked up to the charger I use for my iPod. Maybe I can determine who the phone's owner is, or, if there is a body in the weeds that it belongs to.

3 comments:

  1. That's scary. I hope the body it belongs to is ALIVE.

    The leaves look nice. Maybe they can stay for a few days before you rake them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overuse of quotation marks is a riot. LMAO Gail101

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey -- Fooling with the iPhone, I found a # & called. Turns out it was my neighbor; Mother of the owner, who I knew. I met with them both last night & returned the phone.

    Gail -- Ah, yes ... I'm a "Quoter".

    ReplyDelete