Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Monday, October 4, 2010

NOT REALLY ... "PETS"

I have written about my turtle & tortoise collection several times. I've kept some kind of turtle since I was a small kid, about when I was the size of the cat -- Precious -- snoozing on my lap as I try to type this.

Turtles are not pets. They are a collection item.

Cats are "pets". Well, they are supposed to be. Tell them.

Since I do have both & seem to be stuck with felines & reptiles in my life, I thought I would share some photos & descriptions of some of the turtle species I have.

The fella above is a stand-by item on any Animal Planet or Discovery Channel show dealing with the swamps of Louisiana ... the Alligator Snapping Turtle. This bad boy is noted for laying in the water, wiggling the tip of its tongue in an open mouth, to crush unsuspecting fish thinking the small red tip is a worm.

I have had my very mean & nasty turtle since I lived in Memphis & acquired it as a hatchling. It's kept in a container by itself -- naturally -- & eats only live fish, just like on TV.

This is another turtle whose population in the wild is disappearing due to over hunting. They just happen to make great soup. And, like other turtles, "farming" them is not a viable option, since unlike chickens & cows, it takes 20-30 years to grow an Alligator Snapping Turtle to adult/breeding /eating size. Not profitable.

As in many states, this species of turtle is "protected" -- yeah, IF they catch you -- & can not be captured, owned or eaten. I have an Arkansas State Fish & Wildlife Permit to own my "killer".

Another "exotic" turtle in my collection is a Mata Mata Turtle. Like the Alligator Snapping Turtle, this South American turtle also lays in the water waiting for a fish to swim within ... "range".

Unlike the Alligator Snapping Turtle, the Mata Mata does not attempt to grab & crush it's prey. Instead, within the blink of an eye, it opens it's large mouth & expands it's neck, literally vacuuming in the fish & water. It then slowly expels the water, leaving the fish trapped within the turtle's mouth. Fun to watch ... ah ... except for the fish.

Both of these turtles are why I make weekly trips to McSwain's Sports Center, where I buy a supply of "dinner" -- minnows -- for these two brutes.

With time, interest & energy, in the future, I'll feature some more of the different turtles from my strange & exotic collection of "non-pets".

4 comments:

  1. I'm afraid of snapping turtles. Goes back to when I was a kid and my brothers told stories about them when we'd go swimming. Fortunately, I never encountered one, but the fear lingers on.

    The Mata Mata looks very strange - such a long neck.

    As you may know, living organisms are being genetically modified to better feed us (so they say). I wouldn't be surprised if someday they modify the "tasty" turtles to mature quicker. Profits, all about profits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your turtles need live fish. (When I see my schnauzer eating a locust, walking stick or a cricket, I have learned to shift my attention. I have such respect for all living creatures.) So, with that thought out of the way, both turtles are incredible. The Alligator Snapping Turtle is a bit familiar to me. Years ago, fishing was one of my hobbies and I hooked a couple of them. The Mata Mata Turtle is so large for its shell. I have seen pictures of the Grand Canyon that resemble its shell. I have never seen a "turtle" like it. Do you keep the minnows in an aquarium? These "bad boys" eat year round I bet, keeping you busy. No wonder you stay healthy - you have to in order to care for your felines and reptiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey --
    The Chinese (naturally) now have GIGANTIC turtle farms where they are raising the turtles as food. It's only fitting, since much of the turtle "shortage" in the world is the direct result of them filling their soup pots with turtles they imported ... millions & millons of them illegally.

    Melissa --
    I don't buy the quantity of minnows at any one time as I once did. Then, I did use an aquarium & filter to "maintain" the minnows. Now, I buy more frequently & use "fresh" minnows.

    I would be a lot richer in money with out my hobbies & "Girls", but my life would not be as unique or provide me with as much enjoyment.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete