Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Friday, October 22, 2010

INSIDE THE TURTLE COMPOUND

When I do a post including, or featuring, any of my turtle collection, I usually get a few questions on where & how I keep them. I thought I would share a few photos, which may answer some questions ... or ... just bring up more.

I keep all my BIG turtles in cattle watering, "stock tanks". Special lighting is provided, to simulate warmth & ultra violet rays, since this is an in-door facility & turtles REQUIRE sunlight to live & grow.

In the bottom of this picture, are the green colored Eheim brand canister filters. These filters are made in Germany. They are running 24/7, as it must be remembered: the turtles are swimming in their toilet. THEY MUST BE KEPT CLEAN.

This shows the A/C unit in the compound window. I have to keep it cooled in the Summer & heated in the Winter. Temperature extremes of either heat or cold will KILL turtles.

On the shelf above this tank, are two terrariums containing small Day Geckos.

The turtle on the left is a Kwantung River Turtle. This species comes from China. To the right is a Hamilton's Spotted Pond Turtle. They are found in India & Pakistan.

The later turtle in this photo is a male, one of two I have received from the Denver Colorado Zoo. I have a U.S fish & Wildlife, Federal Permit enabling me to own this species of turtle, as they are an Endangered Species & thus can not be bought, sold, traded or brought into the United States without a Federal Permit.

This "Hammy" above is my largest female. She is about 12 inches in shell length. I have owned her for almost 25 years.

This beauty is a female Red Bellied Sideneck turtle, which in nature, occurs in Australia & New Guinea. As the name indicates, her head & neck -- when withdrawn into the shell -- will be "tucked" sideways, rather than drawn straight into the shell.

Above is a "color morph" of a domestic Red Eared Slider. Rather than a normal olive colored shell, the pigment is yellow. Like an albino, "Pastels" -- as they are often called -- do not survive in the wild, since their colors makes them easy pray for predators. I have had this turtle for more than a dozen years.

In another tank, I have this female "Pastel" Red Eared Slider (right), along with a male Red Bellied Sideneck. The two large gold fish are "survivors", having arrived when very small with other "feeder" goldfish. They are now "familiar" to the turtles they share the tank with & are no longer considered as "food" by the turtles.

The "odd-balls" ... Snake Necked Turtles. Their necks are as long as their shell & in no way can they withdraw their head into the shell for protection. They use their long necks as sling-shots to "spear" live fish in the water. [In captivity, this is where the "feeders" come into play.] These turtles too are native to New Guinea & Australia.

Another photo, of the turtle to the right, in the previous photo directly above.

These photos & descriptions will give everyone another look at some of the many turtles in my collection. I will feature some others in a future post.

I'll end this with a photo of some of my tortoises:

Red Footed Tortoises (left/right) & a Black Mountain Tortoise in the middle.

And that's some of what lives ... in the turtle compound.

7 comments:

  1. TOTALLY COOL!!! I dig turtles, had one as a kid and truthfully I liked him better than the dog we had at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what the initial attraction to turtles was, since it first occured almost 60 years ago.

    They have been a life-long interest, from the first ones I caught in New York State, to the rare & exotic -- not to forget, EXPENSIVE -- turtles I have today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do not like the snake-necked. Had an instant reaction ~shudder~

    Do you give them names? Do you have pairs, and thus, babies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The turtles are a hobby ... "collection" ... whatever it is properly called. They really can't be "pets" when they have a brain the size of my little fingernail. Their reaction to people (me) usually one of two reactions: FLEE, or, FEED ME.

    I've had some success breeding, but my set-up needs some drastic physical changes to allow nesting with a large non-H2O area, something I don't have the space for currently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So when the the turtles don't want to take a swim, they hang out on the dry dock. They dive off into the water when ready, and climb up the wire ramp to return to the dry dock? Since they need the light to "live and grow", do the lights stay on all the time or do they also get a period of darkness for sleep? So you keep the water levels up and is the water treated or just tap water? Great arrangement. The collection is amazing. And to have the one for 25 years is remarkable. Name or not, there is some attachment, I am sure. They do open the heart. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ** The platforms serve the purpose of allowing the turtles to dry off & absorb warmth & UV from the lights, similiar to them basking in the sunlight, on a log, in the wild.

    ** The lights are on timers.

    ** The H2O in Arkansas is of good quality & used direct from the tap, but I do adjust the temperature as needed when refilling the "ponds".

    ReplyDelete