Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Sunday, October 10, 2010

BIG GATOR TAILS & TALES

Last weekends Arkansas Democrat-Gazette newspaper had an article on a BIG alligator which was killed in the southern part of the state ... were gators are a bit more commonly found in Arkansas.

Many years ago, several hundred alligators where imported into the state from Louisiana. The idea was to use the gators to help "control" the expanding -- and damaging -- beaver population. The beavers propensity to build dams & the resulting flooding of valuable farm land, was not appreciated.

Seriously, in my trips to Florida, I have encountered alligators just as big as the "record gator" in the newspaper story. It's just a matter of being (safely) in the areas where the BIG alligators call home.

In the 1960's, alligators in Florida were declared "endangered" due to declining numbers of gators, no doubt a result of the human population growth. After a few years of "protection", it was found that the alligator population in Florida was quite large. Maybe the gators had been "hiding" all that time.

From personal experience, I know I have "found" alligators in all sorts of places in Florida -- ditches, ponds, culverts, etc. If there is water, there is usually an alligator in it, or pretty darn close.

Now this doesn't mean the alligators I have found where BIG gators. Those large sizes are associated with larger, permanent bodies of water. But, any alligator more than a few feet long, can be a handful, with serious teeth & a strong tail to lash out with.

Many times in Florida while walking the edge of an interesting creek or river, I have come upon a gator too close for comfort. Even a two or three foot gator can be a handful when surprised. I can move backwards at a fast rate when required.

When my Father was alive, my visits to to my parents home in Florida would always involve at least one canoe trip on a local river with my Dad. Sometimes more than one outing in a visit. My Dad -- like me -- wanted to "explore" & we enjoyed paddling a river, always looking forward to what we would find around the next bend in the water flow.

One of our favorite places to canoe, was the Dead River in Florida. [As you read on, it is appropriately named.] It's located between Leesburg & Fruitland Park, & joins up with Lake Griffin, part of the "Chain of Lakes" as they are known in central Florida.

On several occasions, on the Dead River, we encountered BIG alligators, usually floating in the water near their "territory". We got to "know" -- from a safe distance -- the "locals" & would often recognize -- from their size & location -- the "regulars".

Still, on more than one occasion, we would round a corner in the water & come upon an unsuspecting alligator. SURPRISE ... for all of us.

BIG SPLASH !! The gator would crash into the water & bubbles would float to the surface, indicating the gator had "escaped" -- or we did -- under our canoe. Dad & me would both be holding our breath, hoping the gator was not surfacing under us. We had a mutual sigh of relief when the BIG gator would appear -- looking P.O.'ed at us -- about 10-15 feet away.

It's been more than 20 years since my Father died. When he did -- per his wishes --we had him cremated. I then took one last canoe ride together with my Dad.

I took my Dad's cremains on a canoe trip on the Dead River. [Told you the name would be important to the story.] My Mother & me thought the location would be logical to scatter the ashes, not per the name, but because my Father always loved the outdoors & had many enjoyable days on the water there.

Being in the canoe, by myself, was made more difficult by the wind blowing that day. In the open parts of the river, where the river got quite wide, it was hard for me to control the canoe. Not the smooth, gliding ride as when my Dad was paddling with me.

I had a location in my mind to get to, where my Dad & me would "chase" a BIG gator we always saw floating in the same part of the river. From memory & several times having been very close to this same alligator, it was as big -- or bigger -- than the Arkansas "record gator".

As my Dad & me would paddle closer, the BIG alligator would usually sink gently under the water, almost as if he was a bit bored with us. Tell-tale bubbles coming to the surface would indicate he never went too far from us, probably just lying on the river bottom. As we paddled off, he would soon raise back up to the surface.

As I struggled with the canoe that day, I reached the area of the river where the BIG alligator usually called home. Sure enough, there he was, as if waiting for me, inviting me, saying ... "Come on over, I'm here".

At that point, the wind went totally calm. I had complete control of the canoe & rapidly reached the point where the BIG gator had submerged, leaving lots of bubbles in the water all around. As I floated along -- above the BIG gator ?? -- I poured the ashes over the edge of the canoe, admiring the design they played out in the water, almost as if the ashes were a line of clouds, floating downward in the water.

Without the wind blowing, I decided to turn the canoe around. I had my camera & wanted to get a picture of the beautiful effect in the water, both to show my Mother & for posterity.

As I tried to turn, the BIG alligator resurfaced behind me -- he was right under me when I saw the bubbles -- & the wind suddenly came up full force, blowing me away from the spot where I had scattered Dad's ashes. I couldn't control the canoe to get back to the spot I wanted.

It seemed at the time -- & it still does -- as if the BIG gator was telling me as I was held in the strong breeze ... "You can't come back. What's done is done".

There are several events in my life -- & this was a major one -- where I have felt some higher power/influence/destiny to my life. At such times, I have been humbled to feel that I was truly in the grasp of something I "felt" around me, but still could not totally comprehend.

Why did the wind, always so strong, cease for the right amount of time I needed to navigate the wide river ?? Why did the BIG gator I was looking for, appear at the same time, as if right on schedule ?? It is still a mystery to me. Then, the return of the wind, as if forcing me to leave, was in the category of ... "strange".

This was a time when I truly felt as if I was having a "provider" wth me ... guiding me, watching out for me & helping to complete this last task for my Father.

It remains to this day one of the most "powerful" experiences in my life.

That's my BIG gator tale.

2 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful story.

    Aunt Bea (famed side-bar gal on my blog) grew baby alligators in her living room in 5 gallon fish tanks. When they were big enough, she took them out to a pond on her land. They were scary to see there in the living room while you were trying to have a chat.

    ReplyDelete