Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

SLEEPING "HABITS"

As I have tried to describe many times previously, living with three cats brings many entertaining moments, to go along with the frustrating ones.

Cats are cats. They are not dogs & never will be. I'm learning that, over & over, as each day passes with my companions: Precious, Nibblets & Wobs.

Each of the three have their own habits, expressions, methods of communicating, etc., along with -- as I have come to believe -- a soul.

There is SOMETHING which is behind those cat eyes ... something thinking, evaluating, comprehending -- & with my three -- LOVING. It's there. I know it.

The more I study my cats, their habits often stand out to be unique to each & often a way of predicting what each one is about to do, or, a hint of what they are currently doing. These "habits" can often lead me directly to their locations, such as finding a "missing" cat, & best case scenario, avoiding some potential problem,such as a "cat dispute", before it occurs.

My eldest cat -- Precious, Mother of the other two -- spent many months sleeping in one of the desk chairs in my office. It was "her chair", but I supplied a folded quilt to make it more comfortable.

This is where I could count on to find Precious ... either during the day, or first thing when I would get up in the morning. Even as I worked at the desk -- in the other chair -- Precious would be stretched out on her back, snoozing away.

It was her habit ... to always be sleeping in the chair.

Well, maybe it wasn't her only "habit"..

For the past six weeks or so, Precious no longer sleeps in the office chair. She can now be found sleeping in the empty 55-gallon aquarium on the side porch of the house. It's now her (new) habit.

Actually, there is an additional habit involved, not just the habit of the continuing location of her sleeping. It's not just WHERE she is napping, but also, HOW Precious naps.

Above is Precious catching her "cat nap" on the concrete of the driveway.

This shows Precious sleeping in the grass in the yard.

When first observing where & when Precious was sleeping, it wasn't until she change that habit -- by changing locations -- that I realized what was her most consistent sleeping habit.

Precious ... is a "BACK NAPPER". She loves to sleep on her back, with all four legs stretched out. No matter what the location or surface, she seems to favor the same position.

At night, when Precious sleeps next to me on the bed -- another "habit change" ... from the office chair at night -- you know how she sleeps on the bed. YEP !! You got it. On her back.

Once a "back napper ... always a "back napper".

For Precious ... it's her sleeping habit.

3 comments:

  1. I once had a cat named Inky who was similar to Precious in the matter of her figure. Inky liked to sleep on her back too. I think it just felt better to get that spine stretched out after having had it weighed down with her extra pounds.

    p.s. I am NOT saying Precious is fat. Don't you tell her that. No, she is a mature and lovely feline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious prefers ... "Full Figured".

    ReplyDelete