Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

SUMMER COLOR

Summer has just begun & already I am hauling H2O every day trying to keep plants & the smaller trees alive. Due to the dryness & lack of rain, many of the large Oak trees in my yard are even shedding dry, crumpled leaves. It's that dry already this year.

We need a nice, steady, gentle rain, spaced out over a few days. Weather forecasts call for "isolated rain showers", but that's just what it means ... isolated. A 30% -- or less -- chance of rain.

One positive note with the dryness; the grass has already slowed it's growth. This doesn't usually happen until further along in the Summer. Think August.

I cut grass today on a portion of my property. Took me about 90 minutes. A lot of areas just do not need cutting. Rain will change that, but who knows when that will happen. Mean while, I'm saving $$ by not having to refill the gas cans so often for the John Deere.

Despite the dryness & the extra effort involved with carrying H2O in three gallon H2Oing cans -- luckily, I've got the "pythons" to do it -- there is a lot of "Summer color" showing at my place.

Instead of writing about cats or turtles -- usual subjects lately -- I'll share photos of some of the blooms & colors surrounding my home about now.

Day Lilies are always a favorite in my garden. I have several varieties/colors.

The bloom is a blue Hydrangea. To the left is a small Coral Bark Japanese Maple, both nestled in a bed of ferns & dwarf Bamboo.

This is a Pee Gee Hydrangea.

The above is a red Rose of Mertle [AKA Rose of Sharon]. Renamed for a friend.

Vitex AKA "Texas Lilac". [One of the few BLUE flowering trees.]

This is a TROPICAL Bromeliad ... a dwarf tri-color. [Inside in the Winter.]

Crape Myrtles along the front entrance.

Looking from the South yard, with more Crape Myrtles.

Close up of several blossoms on a Crape Myrtle.

Despite the heat & lack of rain, my home is surrounded by many colorful trees, bushes & plants. I'll keep applying H2O & they will -- hopefully -- stay healthy, blooming & continue to provide me with "Summer Color".

4 comments:

  1. Very beautiful. BTW, it is Rose of Sharon, whether you think you renamed it for a friend or not. I have those in my yard, too. And the bromiliads, I have in Florida (or had, if they make it through the summer with whatever water they get from God). You do have great selections of varied and colorful plantings. Good work!
    "Weiner"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a red crepe myrtle too. My mom in law gave it to after my mom had passed away. They're so pretty in bloom.

    Why don't you set up a tank or two to harvest rain? We've 4 tanks, 3 are very large. All together when full they hold 15,000 gallons of water.

    Love the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The H2O I am "hauling" is dipped from a large, round "atock tank" hooked up to the rain gutters. But, it has been so long since we had a decent rain fall, plus, the amount of H2O I'm using keeping everything hydrated, I've had to replenish the tank several times via the garden hose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darryl uses pumps and just moves the hose around the yard. He's also setting up a rather simple watering system to get more done at once. All above ground - seems to be a good solution for our needs.

    I keep telling him he needs to have a blog. There's crazy stuff going on out there.

    ReplyDelete