Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Friday, July 23, 2010

TODAY'S PROJECT ... BAMBOO

I realize a lot of my blog posts lately have involved stories about one, or all, of my three cats. I guess it is just reflective of the role the three thugs play in my life. For awhile there, I thought I might have to change the name of the blog to "Bill's Big Cats".

It turns out, today was a "bamboo day".

Yesterday -- in 95 degree heat, which was the reading on my thermometer ... the "official" high was 100 degrees over in Little Rock -- I cut grass for most of my property. I took several "breaks" during the couple hours I was cutting; to cool down both myself & my mower. No sense in over doing it in the heat.

Later -- after my shower -- I washed & cleaned the mower, which is standard for me. I like to put the mower away in the shed ... CLEAN. [I wish I was as good to my TRUCK.]

Today being cooler -- it's only 94 degrees so far -- it happened to be a "minor project day", since the grass was cut yesterday & grass cutting is the "major project" each week. The "minors" are plant/tree maintenance, spraying Roundup on weeds, gathering sticks & tree limbs, etc. STUFF ... which the property "requires". Sometimes "minors" get put off/delayed/ignored. I procrastinate.

I "recycle" my trash by burning most of it, and spread the ashes in the garden & bamboo. Very little goes into the garbage can to be picked up & end up in a land fill. [Don't get on me about smoke pollution. My way is the lesser of two evils.]

Since the fire pit was in use today, one of the "minor projects" entailed cutting down some bamboo which had broken from the wind, or storms, along with other cains which had died. [Bamboo is just VERY BIG grass. It has to be maintained, which includes thinning out the groves, controlling it's growth direction & removing old/dead "CLUMS" ... which is what the stalks/cains of bamboo are actually called.]

Today the bamboo needing removing was cut, sectioned & hauled to the fire pit to burn.

I'm often asked how BIG is the bamboo I grow. The above clum is 46 feet long. I have several other groupings of bamboo, where I believe the bamboo is even bigger/taller than the piece in the picture. [Don't know for sure, until I have to cut a piece down & can measure it.]

Along the length of this piece of bamboo, I also found the circumference to be right at 10 inches. BIG BAMBOO !!

When I cut down bamboo, I use mostly a small hand saw. Even that size saw can be dangerous -- to ME. Along with a good size cut on my finger today, I also put a fair size hole in my right knee, which also bled freely, but did not make the camera. This is also an example of why I use my chain saw so infrequently. I don't trust ME. Cut fingers & knees are one thing. Potential missing arms/legs are another.

After several hours outside in the heat, doing a "minor project", I quit for the day. I didn't want to "over do it" in the warm temperatures & the bamboo will still be there tomorrow ... for the next "project".

8 comments:

  1. A post about BAMBOO. I thought I'd never see it.

    I can't help wondering if you can make something interesting with what you have to cut out anyway. A fence? A planter? Something for the cats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the BEST things about the bamboo when burned -- due to the "cells"/sections of the wood --the moisture in the bamboo explodes with a noise like fire crackers.

    I have used the wood in some projects, but I now have so much bamboo, I don't have the space to store the cut wood. It's easier -- & more fun -- to burn it.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't know that - BOOM. Well, that would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bamboo is . . . breath-taking. I lived in Honolulu and near a Buddist Temple near the Pali cliffs, there is a cluster of large bamboo. When the wind blows as certain way, the bamboo actually "sings". It's amazing. I wondered if your bamboo sings! Really, don't think I am crazy. But I enjoy your pictures. Do you ever sell your bamboo? How long does it take to dry out? Is it easier to make something with it while it is green? I appreciate your cats, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in the middle of typing a reply, when the power went off due to one of the FREQUENT electrical outages my electrical co-op company "provides".

    The bamboo does appear to make more ... ah ... "noise" in the Winter, when other plants/trees have dropped their leaves.

    Digging BIG bamboo -- with the root ball required -- is a two-man operation & thus I have not (yet) sold any of mine.

    Older bamboo clums are best for cutting & drying. New shoots will "disolve" when cut too early in thir life cycle.

    I love my cats. They are a blessing ... as well -- at times -- a "punishment".

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is "singing" bamboo. The sound is similar to someone blowing across a coke bottle - not that I am old enough to remember when such a small act was amusing . . ! As for your saw - I understand. I took up woodcarving 2 years ago. I am was so prone to cutting myself. After a few slips and such, whenever a sharp object is in one hand, the mesh steel glove is on the other hand. Thank you for sharing your bamboo in this way. Regards, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aloha, Melissa:

    Enjoyed your comments & YOUR blog.

    I'd be too dangerous as a wood carver. I bleed enough just from simple garden chores.

    Thanks for reading my blog.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing - just like the news - "what bleeds - leads" - your bloody cut finger elicits more response. Guess what that tells you Bill! lol

    ReplyDelete