Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Friday, January 8, 2010

YES ... WE HAVE NO BANANAS

The bitter cold weather continues. It was 13 degrees when I got up this A.M. & felt like Antarctica when I finally went outside & down to the road to get the newspaper. The wind in my face was brutal !!

Growing up in central New York state, an area known for it's Winter weather & "Lake Effect Snow", I have had my share of Mother Nature's wicked ways. I can remember two times the pain of minus-15 degree temperatures in New York: in my High School days in Honeoye, & a few years later in the city of Utica. I was reminded of those times this morning with that wind hitting me.

We had a dusting of snow on the ground again yesterday. I cleaned off the truck & the side walk to the side door, since the forecast was for falling temperatures & I knew if & when anything melted, it would soon turn to ice if not cleared off.

My plans all along have been to stay at home & "ride-out" this weather. I don't have to go anyplace right now, [that's what not having a job will do for you] my new, $4,000 furnace has been providing warmth & there is plenty of food in the house. I can make it.

Then, the light bulb went off over my head. I have plenty of food ... but what about ... "them". The piercing glare of six eyes & 27 lives made me realize I had only one package remaining of the [required] cat snacks -- Temptations. Fussy eaters demand not just the best, but ONLY what THEY WANT to eat.

Despite having a pantry FULL of food -- more theirs than mine -- I warmed up the truck & made a "foodies run" to both Sam's Club & the new Wal*Mart in Sherwood, Arkansas. Heck, I can always find something I want to eat, so the trip is for me as well as The Thugs.

I was pleasantly surprise to find, despite the cold weather, both places I went were not at all crowded. In fact, driving into the parking lot at Sam's, I was taken back at first by the few cars there. Certainly not normal, to be so "empty". It was pleasant to shop -- & check out -- with ease & speed.

The cashier at Wal*Mart told me, the previous day -- Wednesday -- was when the store was busy. Apparently snow warnings still stampede people to buy food, but cold keeps them home. Lucky for me.

I got the "snacks" for the girls. MY most desired item was fresh bananas. I like them with my morning cereal. The bananas at Sam's were too yellow. I like to buy bananas when they have a lot of green in them. It's timing -- & luck -- to find them in any grocery store the way I like them. The one's at Wal*Mart were okay. Not "perfect", but good enough to buy & better than the one's at Sam's.


When I got home, all three cats were in the house. Two of them especially -- THE WOBBLER & Momma Kitty -- like to "inspect" the packages, so I put the bags on the floor, to get their approval. The pantry door was opened too, so that was an added adventure for them. They love to explore any place behind a [normally] closed door.

So ... now we have plenty of Kat Fud. Actually, we HAD plenty, I just wanted to be sure we had the CORRECT food -- as requested by the Little Queens. Got to keep them happy & their bellies full.

This cold weather is going to be here through the weekend. It's a SECOND blast of Canada's cold breath we are experiencing now. At least, for central Arkansas, there is no more snow to come with it. The ground is frozen, as well as most of the places with water, are covered with ice. That includes all the flooding still remaining from the rain on Xmas Eve. If it was snowing, the snow would pile up in these conditions. No thanks.

And, "Yes", I DO have bananas.

1 comment:

  1. This certainly does not "qualify" as a WEEMUS-approved pantry. You know it should all be stacked in alphabetical order with the labels facing the front. I'm surprised you didn't know better.

    Bubba

    ReplyDelete