Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

SENIOR SWEATING

Yesterday afternoon, the snow stopped & the sun came out for an hour or two. Enough time for a lot of the snow to melt & clear off the roads. The wind helped also, to dry the roads.

With the clouds disappearing, it made for a clear & COLD night. Lots of stars out, as well as a partial moon. All pretty to look at, but I did not stay outside long admiring the heavens, as I emptied the litter box siftings & hurried back inside.

I like my bedroom on the cool side at night. I like to sleep with covers on the bed, so I turn the thermostat down before I go to bed. It got more than "cool" in the bedroom last night. More like COLD.

I got up at 3 A.M. & turned the heat up. I also put on a pair of socks. THE WOBBLER didn't do enough to warm the bed at all. She spent too much time laying on me. I guess I was the one providing the bed warmth last night.

When I got up at 5:15 this morning, it was 16 degrees outside. Only one cat wanted to go out side: Nibblets. The other two headed up into the loft ... the warmest part of the house. Smart cats.

About 8:30, it was time to make a decision -- where was I going to get my morning exercise ?? By then the sun was shinning brightly & it was a balmy 21 degrees out. I had two options -- (1) Go outside & run my 2.5 mile course, or, (2) Go to the Hayes Center.

To explain; the better name is the Hayes Senior Center. [I leave out the middle word a lot.] It's in North Little Rock, about 12 miles from here. It has all sorts of offerings for the "over 50 crowd". I like it because it has a track, treadmills & is indoors . I go there when the weather is bad, or, I just feel like sweating a bit.

I also like the fact the membership is cheap. It costs me $130 a year for the "extended hours". For the shortened hours, it costs $25 a year. That's the membership most of the "seniors" have.

Even though I am in my sixties, I really don't relate to many of the other "seniors" using the gym area. I know my attitude is all wrong in regards to about 95% of the people, but I often feel they could stay home, walk their neighborhood & get as much "exercise" as they do at the Hays Center. I go there to work-out. I've come to the realization that most of the "Blue Hairs & Old Farts" are there to socialize, not to work up a sweat. I guess it's an "old person thing", which is what I am trying to avoid becoming by exercising.



It's a nice facility & for the money, is worth every penny. As I have improved my running & endurance, I utilize the treadmills more & more. In a 30 minute session, with the first 10 minutes being a fast walk, before increasing it to running for the last 20 minutes, I usually travel 2.6 miles & burn more than 300 calories. I try to do two sessions if the track is "busy". If not, I may follow up the treadmill with 30 minutes of hard walking on the track.

NOTE: The "problem" with the track is the "seniors" who are having a comfortable time, talking to each other, visiting & stopping to talk ... while in the middle of the track. And don't get me started on the numerous "seniors" sliding along in the fast lane of the track, taking a slow stroll ... some even carrying their purses !! As I confessed ... I have "issues". I just have to tell myself: "Self ... enjoy the workout & watch out for the 'seniors'".

As for my exercise today, despite the cold temperatures, I decided to run on the roads, rather than drive on them to the Hays Center. It does save me time to do my workouts at home & with the ice & snow we have had, avoid any spots where the roads may still have some slick spots.

I layered a series of light weight clothes to wear today, rather than a heavy jacket such as I wore yesterday, when I mostly walked. I just have trouble running if I am too bundled up with thick clothes.

I did run the full 2.5 miles. I did it in 29 minutes & 10 seconds, which is about 30 seconds longer than average. Considering the wind & how cold it was, I was pleased with the time & that I was able to work up a sweat in the 20 degree temperatures.

And ... I did not have any "seniors" in my way.

3 comments:

  1. We keep it cold at night too and haven't turned on the heater yet, but if it got to 16 . . . well, thank God we live in Corpus. 16 is rare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give it up Wm, you are a "Senior" also. You might as well go back to Hayes and find you some companionship.

    Dick Cheney

    ReplyDelete