Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

GREENHEADS

The weather improved a bit today. Still cold, but the temperatures did get past the freezing mark for the first time in several days. However, the forecast is not good. Tonight we are due for freezing rain, turning to snow. Then 35 MPH winds and low temperatures of 10 degrees. What is this ... North Dakota ??

I put the electric blanket on the bed last night, which helped considerably. Wobs & Nibblets appreciated it as well. Toasty. Still, I got up in the night to turn up the house heat a bit.

I drove my truck for the first time today since Sunday. I went to the Rose City Post Office -- where I have a P.O. Box -- to get my mail. I got a nice package from Bubba. A copy of the Tennessee Conservationist, with an article on Tennessee turtles.

At the P.O. I also got my Visa bill. It had my Xmas expenses, including the rental car. I am sure the rental car companies jack up the rates at holidays. It was more than "twiced" [Inside joke again] that of my airline tickets.

I ran again this A.M. It was still in the 20's for temperatures, but the road was dryer than it has been. Still, lots of ice & even patches of snow on the ground.

The water in the creek to the East of here has gone down a lot. The road -- & bridge -- are dry & above water, after being flooded for several days after Xmas.






At the bridge this A.M., I noticed a duck in the water, which at first I thought was frozen in ice. It was a Mallard duck -- a male. Duck hunters -- like my friend Kenny -- call them "Greenheads".

Duck hunting -- as with the deer hunting I've written about previously -- is a big deal here in Arkansas. Heck, most all kinds of hunting is popular. I think people just like to shoot & kill things. They also shoot at a lot of Stop signs, probably when the hunting is poor. Most signs around here have "scars".

Well, if not frozen, I thought maybe the duck had been previously & was still traumatized. It wasn't moving. I made waving motions with my arms, to try to get a response from it. I see a lot of ducks at this creek & they usually fly off at the first sign of me. This duck was still not moving.

When I arrived home, I got some bread & walked back to the creek. I tossed bits of bread to the duck, hoping it would eat. It was still not responding.

Now I was worried. I went home & called the Fish & Game Commission. They promised to send an agent right out. Just for good measure, I called two of the local TV stations & the newspaper. I thought the duck "rescue" might make a good "human interest" feature. They were all sending reporters & film crews.

I figured this might be good & I would get my photo & name in the paper & on TV. Heck, CNN might pick it up & show it nationally. Maybe world wide. I might even get to meet Robin Meade !!!

I hurried back down to the bridge, to be there when everyone arrived. I even looked for some good angles & light direction -- for filming, photos & interviews.

The duck still had not moved. I was afraid it might be DEAD.

That's when I realized -- IT WAS A DECOY !! Dang greenhead. It wasn't real!!

I ran home as fast as I could. No one saw me.

I'm sure glad I didn't give out my name or address.

Stupid ducks !!!

And ... I'm not going to meet Robin Meade.

2 comments:

  1. These kinds of things happen to you every day, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it time to get glasses.....or new meds?

    ReplyDelete