Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

KUNG PAO CHICKEN

I had planned on making an "Oriental Supper" for Saturday night. It takes a little more planning & preparation than some of my other "fast food" dishes -- salads, sandwiches, etc. "Fast" = food I can prepare ... quickly.

I guess I got to goofing off too much Saturday. Although I had all the ingredients, I never gave myself the "kitchen time" needed. I was too busy doing other things.

I don't have a lot of pots & pans. I think I have one sauce pan & one fry pan. I do, however, have three woks & two rice cookers. I also have several cleavers & three knife blocks for all my cutlery. I'm a chop & stir fry kind of guy.

I do like GOOD Chinese food.

Repeat ... once again: GOOD CHINESE FOOD.

Though the years I worked, I was able to travel to most major cities in the United States. I was lucky to to visit & sample some very well known & recommended Chinese restaurants. Some lived up to their reputations & some did not.

I have been fortunate to have "found" local restaurants in the last two cities I have lived in -- Little Rock & Memphis -- which could rival restaurants, regardless of location, for excellent food & great service. I will have to write about them one day soon.

I think I am a pretty fair cook when it comes to Asian cooking. [I have had several Oriental lady friends though the years -- Korean & Japanese -- which has influenced my cooking as not strictly "Chinese".] I am a cook who ... "combines" food dishes, techniques & ingredients.

Sunday night I fixed MY BRAND of Kung Pao Chicken. I like my Oriental food spicy & fixing the dinner myself, I can add just about anything I want to heat up the recipe.

Sunday night was also a good night for cooking as it turned out to be a night for a VICTORY DINNER ... celebrating the Minnesota Vikings defeating the Dallas Cowboys in football.

Actually, more than beating Dallas -- crushing them !!!

Sorry folks, I dislike everything about the Dallas football team -- owner, quarterback, running backs, etc. Heck -- the whole team.

So on Sunday night I fixed a delicious meal to go along with my own personal celebration of a fine football ... LOSS !

1 comment:

  1. Yummy!

    I'm originally from Minnesota, so I didn't care who won.

    ReplyDelete