Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

WHETHER ... IT'S WEATHER

Back in my Memphis days, when I [finally] got cable TV, one of my favorite stations was The Weather Channel. It was then & still is today. At some point in time each day -- starting when I am first waking up in the A.M. -- I will be watching TWC to get current weather conditions & the forecast.

I have TWC on my computer as well. I also have several other web sites "bookmarked" which keep me current with radar screens & weather information. I like to be "in-the-know" when it comes to what is/will be happening outside.

Here in Arkansas, I have satellite TV. I had cable TV when I initially moved to this state, but soon switched to Primestar. With that system, I had a medium sized satellite dish in my backyard. I also got more stations, better reception & better service than the local cable system provided.

Primestar was purchased by DirecTv & my "dish" was converted to the smaller receiver on the roof top, which is what can be seen on many homes now days. I converted the Primestar base & pole into an additional series of bird feeders in the backyard.

I like my DirecTv system. Their service is good & I have A LOT of TV stations. I have all the sports channels, the movie channels & just about everything they offer. I even have quite a few Spanish channels,which despite my viewing them, has done little or nothing to improve my ability with a second language. I do enjoy the Lucha Libre [Mexican wrestling].

The Weather Channel on DirecTv has an "inter-active option" which allows current local weather conditions to be displayed at any time. No waiting for the "Local on the Eights". A few buttons pressed on the remote brings up current conditions, the forecast for five days & a selection of radar screens across the nation. The last option is very helpful when threatening weather is coming this way.

When I was growing up, there were not the weather forecasting options we have today. There was a "local" weather man on the news, but certainly no Jim Cantore, Vivian Brown or Heather Tesh, a few of my favorite Meteorologists on TWC. [I know ALL the names of the "On-Air-Personalities" on TWC.]

My Dad used to have a saying which I still repeat & believe in to this day. He would say: RED SKY IN THE MORNING ... SAILOR TAKE WARNING. RED SKY AT NIGHT ... SAILOR'S DELIGHT.



Well, yesterday morning's sunrise was a festive sky filled with shades of red sunlight & clouds. As the weather forecast from TWC was listing a 90% chance of thunder storms for the day, I had the quick feeling they were right on board with their prediction. I also thought of my Father's words.

Through out the day, I kept track of the weather on my TV & computer. In most cases, the conditions current in the Dallas & Fort Worth, Texas areas, will be in Little Rock in six to 10 hours. Those cities radar was green -- rain -- most of the day.

About four P.M. yesterday it started getting dark & windy here. By five P.M., I had the three cats inside & my flashlight with me, in case the power went out.

The storm arrived just after six last night. Lots of wind, some thunder & lighting, & for about 15-20 minutes ... heavy rain. [Just what we needed locally -- MORE RAIN. As if we are not water logged enough as it is.]

When I went for my walk this morning, I could see a lot of standing water in the fields, front yards of homes & full ditches on the side of the road. We had gotten a lot of rain, in a short amount of time ... just as predicted.

RED SKY IN THE MORNING ... SAILOR TAKE WARNING had been proven correct.

Both my Father & The Weather Channel had it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment