Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Saturday, January 2, 2010

DON'T TELL BUBBA

I see in the news, Rush Limbaugh has been released from the hospital in Hawaii where he was on vacation. [Why does someone who lives in South Florida have to go to Hawaii to vacation ?? He lives in Palm Beach, for gosh sakes !! Oh, well ... never mind.]

Don't tell my friend Bubba -- who is a "Ditto Head" -- but I listen to Rush on the radio quite a bit. I don't agree with a lot he says, but Rush offers a different perspective on the news & politics, & frankly, I think he is an excellent speaker. [If Bubba knew I had Rush on the radio, it might ruin our Liberal vs. Conservative friendship.]

Anyway, the reason for Rush's hospital stay was due to ... "chest pains". That's the same health reason given, along with "health issues", for the University of Florida football coach, Urban Meyer, first quiting, then taking a ... "leave of absence".

Both men have been declared as healthy, with no signs of a heart attack or any heart disease. Good for them & I hope it is true. Doctors told me the same thing when I had chest pains. I also had four bypasses put into my heart.

Poke me in the eye with a stick, but "pain" -- wherever it might be -- is the body's way of saying "HEY ... Pay attention here". I hope both of these men in the news are "listening". My educated guess is they will have pains AGAIN & I would hope they would not be complacent about any such signs. Doctors don't always get the diagnoses right ... "the first time".

Long story short, but despite years of my own "chest pains" -- which Doctors, & many, many tests determined were not "serious" -- it was finally having "Bogota Breathing" which was the culprit that triggered ANOTHER Heart Catheterization. Then came the words from my Doctor -- "You are not going home. You need surgery. Now."

Pay attention -- this may help you, or someone you know: "Bogota Breathing" is what I called shortness of breath. I experienced it years ago in Bogota, Colombia, South America, due to the altitude. That city is about a mile high in the Andes Mountains. While there, I would have three "normal" breaths, then the fourth inhale would be a deep one, to make up for oxygen I was not getting. Then repeat, on & on. When I felt myself breathing that way in Arkansas a few years back -- three breaths normal, the fourth one deep -- I went to my Doctor. Shortness of breath is a signal. Don't ignore it.

Heart surgery now days is pretty much -- excuse the expression -- "cookie cutter surgery". Some hospitals do a dozen a day. A lot of the success depends on the patient themselves, both before & after the procedure. I had an interesting time. I'll write more about my experiences in a future post.



"Cowboy Billy" -- displaying his National Wrestling Alliance World Championship title belt -- with scars & bruises a few days after coming home from the hospital. Although the "restrictions" of post-surgery can be a bit difficult, the total pain involved is less than some root canals.








Four months later, with diet & exercise, THE KID is much lighter & is enjoying Florida. The scars which go up my entire my left leg -- where veins were taken to transplant into my heart -- are slightly visible below my knee in this photo. All incisions have healed to the point that the scars -- chest & leg -- are difficult to notice.

I really do hope the "chest pains" of Rush Limbaugh & Urban Meyer will be nothing more than a signal to take care of their health, have regular check-ups & alert their Doctors -- AT ONCE -- if they notice any changes in their normal life & activities. Certainly, if they get "Bogota Breath" -- get them to the hospital at once.

Now ... repeat after me -- "I will not tell Bubba ... Bill listens to Rush Limbaugh on the radio".

No comments:

Post a Comment