Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

19 CENTS A MILE

When I was in the workforce -- again, back in Memphis -- I used to go to the movies quite a bit. On the drive home from work, there was a movie theater in the Raleigh Springs Mall where I could see movies at a discount before five P.M. If I timed it right, got out of work promptly & the traffic cooperated, I could see a movie & save a few dollars.

Since being in the Little Rock area, I have only been to the movies a few times here. Now days, movies are on DVD fairly quickly after their run in the theaters. At the same time they are on "Pay Per View" on DirecTv, which is the system I have. [But, I've never "bought" a movie on PPV.]

Additionally, movies are on the "premium channels" i.e. -- HBO, STARZ, etc. ... all of which I have -- shortly thereafter. I'm spending the money each month for those "extras", so I often wait for movies to appear on DirecTv, rather than head to the theaters.

Probably the main reason I don't go to the movies as often as I once did, is just the fact there are not a lot of movies now days which draw me into making the effort to go see them with a crowd of strangers. Better to stay home with the cats, avoiding the germs, people talking loud & cell phones ringing.

Yesterday afternoon, I did ... "make the effort". I drove out to West Little Rock, to the new RAVE Theater. That's a 50 mile round-trip from where I live, near Scott, Arkansas.

The movie -- AVATAR -- was worth the drive, the time -- it's almost three hours long -- and money, at $9.50 admission.


The movie is shown in 3-D ... the first time I have ever seen a movie in this format. I really liked it, although wearing the special glasses provided, over my glasses, took a [quick] bit of getting used to. Two previews, for upcoming 3-D movies, helped settle everything.

Not only did I really enjoy the movie & the special effects, [A lot of people & objects in the movie are ... in the theater, not on the movie screen itself, which is ... back there.] but I soon came to realize I will HAVE TO see the movie AGAIN. There is so much happening in the movie, & so much DETAIL, it's almost impossible to comprehend, as well as see all that is happening ... there ... here ... down there ... over in the corner, as well as in the air ... right in front of me. It really is a unique way to see a movie, along with all which is in -- and around -- the movie.

As movie reviews go, I give it a BIG thumbs up. But ... IT MUST BE SEEN IN 3-D !!!!! There is a "regular screen" version, since not all theaters have the special projection equipment to show it in 3-D. That is why I traveled so far to see the movie & why I will make the effort shortly once more to see the movie again in 3-D. Seeing it on HBO will not be the same.

I realize too, I am "spoiled" now having seen the dramatic difference one movie in this new format can make. It's quite an impression. It's going to be hard to go to a theater & see a "regular movie". Nothing will compare, not when the guy standing right in front of me ... is part of the movie ... back there, on the movie screen.

At 50 miles & $9.50 ... that's only 19 cents a mile. Plus, I didn't buy any snacks. I more than got my money's worth.

1 comment:

  1. We don't go and see movies much either. Avatar is the only one we want to make the effort to see because of the 3D. Now we just have to get us all rounded up and go.

    ReplyDelete