Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Thursday, October 15, 2009

HILDA ...



Hilda is my Mother. She's 82 years old & lives in a small town northwest of Orlando, Florida. Her & my Dad -- who passed away 20 years ago -- moved there in the mid-80's from upstate New York.

My Mother was a "G.I. War Bride" from World War II. My Dad, in the military, met my Mother in England. I guess it was love at first sight. I found out a few years ago Dad popped the question a week after meeting Hilda.

Mom is very active & in great health. She does all the things the ... ah ... "experts" say to do; she exercises, eats the proper foods, doesn't smoke or drink & keeps her mind active, doing daily crossword & Sudoku puzzles. Mother drinks several cups of hot tea a day. It's good for her & very British.

My Mother is also a "knitter". If she's sitting down -- in a chair, a passenger in a car -- or even an airplane -- she has her needles & yarn. She makes everything & anything -- sweaters, afghans, gloves, hats. You name it. If it can be made from yarn -- Hilda can make it.

I sometimes worry about my Mom, living alone way down in Florida. I travel down there to see her usually twice a year. Additionally, in the Spring -- before the mosquito's start invading -- I fly her up here to spend a week with me in Arkansas.

I sometimes think of moving to Florida. If something happened to either one of us, we are not close geographically. It takes some time & planning to travel. It's not as if we lived across town from each other. It's hard to help out if you're 800 miles away.

So ... I keep the thought in my head. I know with all the rain & cold weather we have had lately -- with Winter coming soon -- the thought of ... "Floridays -- Blue Sky's & Ultra Violet Rays" ... has a larger & larger appeal.



1 comment:

  1. Hilda is a sweet, sweet lady and loves her boy.

    Wouldn't blame you for considering Florida...no state income tax and better SEC football. HOWEVER, you could accomplish most of your wishes by moving to Kentucky Lake..no Tn state income tax and better SEC football.

    ReplyDelete