Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Saturday, October 24, 2009

5K ... WHAT HAPPENED ??



I have less than a month to go until I travel over to Memphis, Tennessee to run in the 5K MEOWATHON.  As I have discussed previously, this is an annual event & I enjoy running in the race, plus knowing it sponsors one of my favorite charities; the House of Mews in Memphis.[ http://www.houseofmews.com/ ]

Having been steadily increasing my running miles in preparation for the MEOWATHON, I thought I would take advantage of a 5K run this weekend in Little Rock -- Walk/Run for the Animals & Howl-O-Ween Festival.  It sponsors the local Humane Society.  Another good cause.

I did not pre-register, so I left home this morning with the idea of being at the President Clinton Library -- where the race would be held -- a little past 8 A.M.; to pay my race fee, get a feel for where the race course would be run & join others in getting "warmed up".  [In more ways than one.  While having bright blue sky after several rainy days, it was ... ah ... "cool" -- 49 degrees.]

Let's just say things did not turn out as expected.

When I arrived about 8:10 A.M., there were very few people there.  Certainly none looking like they were geting ready to run 3.2 miles.  A few empty tables ... someone blowing up balloons ... & a few folks setting up a banner at a small platform.  Not like any of the other race events I have taken part in.

I asked around -- "What time is the race going to start" ... thinking my already old-age, fading-memory brain had the time of the race wrong. [NOTE:  A 9 A.M. start time for any Saturday morning 5K race is standard.]  Of the few people there & the ones I asked, no one knew any details.  One fella answered me the start time was "... probably 9:30/10 A.M. ... it's cold this morning.  People will be late".

I waited around until I had been there for 30 minutes.  A few more people arrived, helping with the set-up process. Still, no people who looked as if they came to run a race.  It was the time when I would normally be "warming up", if there was going to be a race.  It didn't appear to me as if there would be.

I left Little Rock & came home.  I ran instead on my usually route on the roads in my area.  I did a "personal best" on my time for my 2.5 mile course this morning.  I sure wish I could have "tested" myself in a competitive environment, as I was planning.

I am glad I didn't pre-register now for the local ... "race".  [If they ever finally had one.]  I am going to take the $25.00 it would have cost me & instead I will send it as a donation to the House of Mews.

I will keep on plugging along, running my miles, getting ready for Memphis & the MEOWATHON on Saturday, November 21st. 

I know that race WILL start at 9 A.M.




No comments:

Post a Comment