Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Thursday, August 5, 2010

IMPORTED & DOMESTIC

It's getting to be a regular event in my life. Every other Wednesday, I make a trip into North Little Rock, to the Post Office located in the Rose City section of town. At that P.O., I have rented a "box" -- actually, it's a "drawer" -- since I have lived in Arkansas. I get quite a bit of my mail at that location.

When I lived in Memphis, I also rented a "box" at the local Post Office. That's were I learned I get too much mail -- in the form of subscriptions, newsletters, magazines, correspondence, etc. -- for a standard size postal box. I "up graded" when I came to Arkansas & got the much larger "drawer".

Originally, all those many years ago in Memphis, the idea of having my mail delivered at the Post Office was because I was not pleased with the way my mail was delivered at the apartment complex I lived at. Too much mail was incorrectly delivered & magazines & other larger items where placed in a communal area. No privacy or security.

For some time now, my Mother in Florida has been baking "goodies" & mailing me a package of cookies &/or brownies. She does this every other week & mails them to me on Monday. Thus, via Priority Mail, I get my package at the Post Office on Wednesday.

Well, right on time yesterday, the latest package was waiting for me to pick up.

Most of the time the package will be in the drawer, but sometimes there is not enough room for the package, depending on how much other mail I have & how many days it has been since I last picked up my mail. [I usually only go to the Post Office about twice a week.]

Sometimes I have to go to the counter to retrieve my "care package". The folks who work there all know me & have caught on to the routine that the contents of the package they are handing me are cookies my Mother has made for me.

On the way home yesterday, I stopped at the local farm which sells produce in season. Normally, I ride my bike there, but yesterday -- remember it was HOT yesterday -- I decided to drive up to the selling area.

This farm -- Faulkner Lake Farms -- has excellent produce. It's tomato time in Arkansas & I selected four beauties for sandwiches & salads.

The above was my haul for the day:

IMPORTED (All the way from Florida) -- Peanut butter cookies, brownies, & five Necco Wafer candies ... since they where a favorite of mine as a kid -- still are -- & Hilda remembers.

DOMESTIC (Arkansas) -- B-E-A-utiful tomatoes. Delicious, too.
_____________________________________________________

NOTE: F.Y.I., to those who shall remain un-named, the candy was bought at the CVS in Wildwood, Florida. I am sure the CVS also sells the BIG, "unsharable chocolate bars" some people like to eat ... by themselves.

2 comments:

  1. OMG. I recognized myself in the note. And this week CVS is selling the chocolate bars 2 for $1.50 I'm having a hard time staying away.

    So want cookies. I could make my own, but you know how it is: always better when someone else makes food (or goodies) for you.

    I've been missing the cats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cats -- like the candy bar specials at CVS -- will return. It's just a fact of life we all have to live with.

    ReplyDelete