Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

ANOTHER ... "ADDICTION"

I've written previously about my excessive amounts of paper & envelopes. I've got a closet full of those items in my home office.

Many times when I have utilized photos in my blog of my cats, they are pictured on one of the two desks I have. While intending to illustrate a "cat posting" for the blog, some folks have noticed one of my other "addictions": writing instruments.

Here we have (again ... this really is turning into a "cat blog") Wobs & Precious
taking over the middle of my desk. This is a favorite past time -- especially for Wobs -- & there are few mornings when I ever have the desk all to myself.

In the back ground of the photo are some of my currently utilized pens, markers, & highlighters. There are others, not in the photo & more on the table behind the desk. These are the "favorites".

Then, there are other writing supplies, many still on the blister cards from when I bought them. They are the "reserves". Some of them are in the closet, too. Others scattered in several boxes.

Why so many ... why so much ??

I guess I have always loved colors & shapes. I can remember even as a youngster in grade school, having different pencils & pens. I was always drawing & sketching ... usually when I should have been paying attention to another subject. The teachers would take my paper & pencils ... but even then I had "reserves".

I was an art major in high school & an advertising & fine arts major in college. I became an "artist", but more for my own pleasure & satisfaction. Nothing much "commercial".

When I was getting my divorce, I sold all my paintings. Some of them I wish I still had, but I needed the money to survive. I guess I was a "starving artist", but I do have both ears.

From then on, I never went back to painting or sketching. That part of my life ended.

Now days, it's just colored pens & paper for me. When I want a certain color & texture of paper, I may need a unique type of pen/marker/highlighter to go with the paper surface. If I want it/need it ... I've got it.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm surprised the girls don't have a heyday with all those cups full of writing implements. I mean, it would be too much fun to scatter them all over the place.

    The cat (Precious?) is saying, "What? You think I'm going to let you get some work done here? Pshaw!"

    or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They leave the pens alone ... until I select one to use. When I remove the cap, & if I set it down on the desk, the pen cap will become the object of attention & get batted around until it ends up on the floor & I have to go look for the cap.

    ReplyDelete