Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Friday, April 2, 2010

CARLTON

I find the Easter "season" kind of strange. Too many bunnies, candies & colored eggs, along with ads for clothes to be worn just one day; a day which may be the only one each year many will attend church. Is it to show off a new dress, or suit ?? Or ... find spiritual comfort ??

I understand the significance of Christians "celebrating" the death & resurrection of Jesus. It makes sense ... our salivation can be assured through faith.

The same holds true with Christmas, when the birth of Christ, given to the world is honored & revered. Still long before the Halloween candy is off store shelves, the Christmast decorations are up, bidding everyone to spend their money, as if expensive gifts might somehow cement relationships. Faith seems to take second place.

I am often at odds with formal religion. I have my faith & belief in my soul. I know there is "more" to come. I'm just not buying what a lot of folks are selling.

I don't attend church. I've never been comfortable there. I don't know why. People at church seem to feel the need to be there. I don't.

On this Good Friday, another man lost his life. Carlton King died early today.

Carlton had cancer & we were recently told Carlton had three to six months to live. That prognosis was on told to us less than 10 days ago. So much for medical predictions.

Some of us had planned to go visit him this coming Monday. Now we are cheated of that. Instead, there is a funeral Monday.

I worked with Carlton at Maybelline for more years than I can remember. I was with the company 33+ years, so it must have been at least 25+ years for Carlton to be there. Maybe longer.

Carlton worked in Little Rock, at the shipping & manufacturing facility. Until 1996, when I transfered to Arkansas, I was at the offices in Memphis, working in Customer Service. We would see each other on occasion before I moved & then it was a daily interaction.

I doubt I could find anyone who would have a bad word to say about Carlton. He was smart, knew his job & would take any time needed to help anyone. Many times he provided me his experience & recommendations for customer "issues" I would be faced with.

Carlton was a good Christian family man, dedicated to his wife, Terri, his kids & to his Mother. [Praise the man who takes care of the woman who gave him life.]

Carlton was a master carpenter & had a shop full of tools & machines. I remember him making furniture for his church, as well as everything from beautiful, fine pen & pencil sets, to profession grade Adirondack chairs. Heck, all his woodwork was professional.

I enjoyed knowing & working with Carlton for many years. I, like his many friends, will miss him.

How ironic & symbolic, that Carlton King died on the same day that another carpenter died, many years ago today.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your friend. But what a great post in his honor.

    ReplyDelete