Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Sunday, April 25, 2010

SHE DID HER PART

The large female Red Eared Slider turtle which was in the field at the far end of my property last night, was -- as expected -- no longer there this A.M. I walked my land searching for her ... just in case she might be ... "stranded". I have encountered other turtles this way in past years. She was not to be found.

I returned my attention this morning to the general location were the turtle had been in the field last night. From experience, I felt positive she had selected that site for her nest when I first encountered her. She had not been moving & appeared not to be bothered by my [distant] presence as I observed her.

There was also the possibility she had already completed laying her eggs & burying them when I first spotted her. She may just have been "recovering" from the process. This happens to females of ALL types.

I gather my tools -- a small shovel & a spade -- to start excavating the point where I expected the nest to be. Again, from experience, I had selected the correct location & quickly found the well hidden nest, with the group of eggs about four inches under ground.


There were a total of 11 eggs in the nest. None were damaged -- which sometimes occurs in the egg laying process -- so I was able to remove all of them from the nest & transfer them to a small plastic box, previously filled with moist vermiculite. This will be the "incubator" for the eggs for the next 45-60 days, when they should be expected to hatch.

Turtle eggs, once laid in the nest, should not be turned or move excessively. Unlike, for example birds eggs, where the mother bird moves & rotates the eggs in the nest, turtle eggs can "die" if they are moved too much, since such movement is "un-natural' in the nest chamber. I was careful as I removed the eggs from the hole & placed them in the container.

The eggs in their plastic container, were placed in the cabinet above my kitchen sink. The light fixture above the sink radiates the correct amount of warmth into the cabinet to allow the eggs to develop. I have used this process previously with turtle & gecko eggs with excellent results.

Now ... I wait until June. I'll monitor the eggs, making sure there is the correct amount of moisture & that all the eggs remain viable & free from fungus or other problems. Even with all the care taken, sometimes reptile eggs ... "go bad".

The mother turtle did her part of the process. Now it is up to me to do my part.

1 comment:

  1. Now that's an interesting endeavor.

    Hope you take pictures when they join the world.

    ReplyDelete