Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

PANTS ON THE GROUND

All my life, I never liked attending weddings or funerals. To me, both are ceremonies in which the main participants are indicating ... "I give up. I can't go on living".

Also, with funerals, I know how they will end. There is no exception.

Most of the weddings I have attended, the couples are no longer together. I think I bring them bad luck. They shouldn't have invited me.

This past week I changed my personal feelings regarding funerals & "viewings", and attended both for my friend & former co-worker -- Carlton King. Being me, I had a lot of apprehension in my preparation to go.

For one thing ... none of my old "dress pants" fit anymore. I'm a size 34 waist in 38 pants. Yes ... I've lost a bit of weight. About 40 pounds. I really had to pull the belt tight to keep the pants up ... once I found a decent size belt !!

I didn't want to end up looking like some "Rapper" ... with my pants hanging down & my underwear showing. That's not a look I want to go with.

When I went to the church Sunday night -- for the "viewing" -- I wore a shirt outside my pants. It was easier to hide the scrunched up look to my pants, dressing that way. Monday -- at the funeral service ... a Catholic Mass, which required a lot of up & down action from even the non-Catholics like me -- I had to be careful of "pant slippage" as the belt was not quite as tight as the night before, since the shirt I wore was "tucked".

A whole lot of people knew & liked Carlton. He had a lot of friends who came to honor his life & pay their respects. Many like me, were folks from his days working at Maybelline.

I saw & spoke with many people I have not seen or talked to in years. [I left the company in December, 2003.] Lots of changes to people; be it hair color or pounds applied. I actually received several hugs from people I couldn't remember. I guess they knew me.

One person who I did recognize right off, was my friend, Bubba. He drove from Springville, Tennessee on Sunday & I was surprised to see him arrive that night at the church. I didn't know he was coming. Just another example of how Carlton was held in regard by many people.

After the funeral service, Bubba & me were joined for lunch with another friend, Kelly. We had a fun time retelling Carlton "stories" & remembering the many good times we had working with Carlton. We also threw in stories & tales of other co-workers & former bosses ... just to keep the laughs coming.

I was sad to see my friend Bubba go. I miss having him in my daily life ... in person. He's so good natured & easy to mock. Oh, occasionally he'll get in a zinger or two at me, which is part of the fun & enjoyment of being around Bubba.

I was glad to get home & change into my usual clothing -- shorts & a T-shirt. I was also thankful the pants I wore stayed up & never hit the ground.

4 comments:

  1. I once had a slip fall out from under my dress in the parking lot... don't think anyone saw that. (Thank goodness) Bubba be look'n good for a retired person.
    ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray for pants staying up. I do not have that problem . . . at all. sigh.

    Funerals are strange. You're there for the worst kind of reason, but as in the case of my husband's clan, it's the only time all of his extended family gets together. And they have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill looked good in his Hawaiian shirt even if it was at the visitation.

    Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  4. You people are nuts. Especially this philosopher-wanna-be blogging. Oh, and is UNDERWARE made by the same company that makes TUPPERWARE? It's UNDERWEAR you moron!!!! Jessie/Portland

    ReplyDelete