Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Saturday, April 24, 2010

"TWO-FER"

The number of turtles appearing on the roads locally is increasing dramatically, mostly due to the weather. Being reptiles -- & cold blooded -- the warmer temperatures are making the turtles more active. Recent rain -- unfortunately, accompanied by tornadoes -- also makes for easier over-land travels, as the turtles have less of a tendency to "dry out".

I continue to pick up small, baby green turtles [Red Eared Sliders] on my morning exercise trips. I also retrieved one off the road while driving the other day. I currently have half-a-dozen baby turtles I am "head-starting".

Not only am I finding more live baby turtles, but the number of dead/squashed/"road-kills" is increasing. If I can spot the little guys -- either as I am exercising or driving -- I will make the effort to get them off the roads. They stand no chance against automobiles.

More adult turtles are now crossing local roads. It the correct time on the calendar -- Spring time; when males hunt for females & females are beginning to find locations to lay their eggs. They have to leave the water & "travel".

I've picked up five adult turtles so far this year. I only do this if the turtle is in the road, &/or, is in a precarious situation, where their chances are increased of getting hit/killed. I will take them & move them to a more "turtle friendly" area. If they are somewhat "safe" when I come upon them, I let them continue on their own. It's kind of like playing god ... with a small "g".

The other day I came across TWO turtles -- adult Red Ears -- straddling the middle line of a fairly well traveled local road. Not a good situation for them to be in. I stopped my truck & grabbed both of them.


It happened that the two turtles were a female (left) & a male (right), although it was not likely they were ... "traveling together". That's not how turtles behave. It was just a coincidence they were in the same location, at the same time.

Getting a "Two-Fer" -- to acquire more than one turtle at a time -- has only happened to me on several occasions. I took both turtles to a safe location & released them.

Tonight, walking my property, picking up sticks & leaf clusters off the ground, which are the result of the storms & wind we had earlier today, I spotted a female turtle in the South part of my land. By her lack of forward movement, I assumed she must be looking to lay eggs.

This is an instance where I will leave the turtle alone & let her do what comes natural. Through the years I have had many turtles navigate my property, usually to nest. Add another to that list.

Tomorrow I will return to the spot; to determine if there is a nest & if so, to dig up the eggs & incubate them. If the eggs are left in the field, there is a very good chance the nest will be "raided" ... by raccoons, skunks, or other critters. But, not cats !!

1 comment:

  1. Yay. Something that can't be blamed on cats.

    I haven't seen any more turtles around here, but then, we really haven't had any rain to speak of. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete