Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Friday, June 11, 2010

PROPER CAT CARE

I've documented on this site my history with cats. Prior to about four years ago ... there was no "history".

I had always been a "dog person", although I had not had a dog of my own since high school. But, I always had good relationships with other peoples pets. Let them pay the Vet bills.

When the three cats I have were sent to me -- that's correct ... they were "sent to me", (More on this philosophy in the future.) -- I had to make up for lost time & ignorance in my knowledge of cat care.

I've asked a lot of questions of cat owners. Well, people who have cats in their lives. You never really "own" a cat.

I looked for suggestions from my friends, but most of them hated cats. They were no help.

I bought a lot of books on cats in an effort to learn about them & caring for them. Buying the books was the easy part. I have thousands of books & buy new ones almost weekly.

Applying all the instructions, advise & suggestions on cat care was/is the hard part. Every author & "cat expert" -- is there such a thing ?? -- has different methods. Most of them don't work. Cats can't read.

After trial & error, along with a lot of half eaten kat fud & furniture getting torn up, I decided to apply my own techniques when it came to having cats as pets.

I now think "outside the (litter) box". I am keeping my cats in old, empty aquarium tanks.

Some advantages:
** Cats don't NEED to have the run of the house, or be outdoors.
** The furniture stays looking new.
** What hair balls ??
** No cat fights.
** No cat hair on EVERYTHING.

As shown in the first photo, my Momma Kitty is content with her new quarters. But, then again, what can she do about it ?? Too bad !! She's a cat !!

I took the top off the aquarium for this photo. There is plenty of room. She can even turn around if she wants.

It may take a while for any cat to get adjusted to the new "restrictions", but some of that is based on centuries of cats free roaming. That stops with my keeping method !!

We're the humans. We are in charge & cats are just "pets". It's time they were "displayed" ... like birds in a cage in the house, or, the fish which were once in the aquarium.

I think my new idea for cat keeping will catch on with many people who currently have cats, but dislike all the care required with their upkeep. A lot of people have old discarded aquariums in the attic or basement. Put those dust collectors to good use.

Additionally, rather than try to "domesticate" cats, this way the cat can be "controlled", attended to when the mood strikes the owner & the cat forgotten about at all other times.

It's a win/win scenario for the cat owner & a new method of proper cat care.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, right!! You're not fooling me this time - you'd just as much put your kitties in glass boxes as you would give them away!
    "Weiner"

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt Jack London is rolling in his grave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! My old aquarium is a bit smaller than the one you pictured, one of those standard sizes. However, Jack would fit just perfectly in it, which would, I think, restrict further growth. So, add to your list the advantage of weight restriction with your method.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, right...Mr Tough Guy. Your three cats OWN YOU!

    Bubba (Tn Cat Guy)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA!! Bubba and I got your number!! Which one of those "aquarium cats" is sitting in your lap right now, Billy Boy??
    "Weiner"

    ReplyDelete