Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

DOGS DO IT

Several readers of this blog -- through comments & e-mails -- have taken me to task for describing my new method of providing care for my cats; I now keep them in old aquarium tanks. [No H2O, except for their drinking dish.]

Like everything in life -- even all nine of theirs, or, how many each of my cats have left -- sometimes changes can prove difficult, especially where routines & habits have developed. It's true with cats. They may be used to "freedom", but with simple "enforcement techniques", they learn to live within the restrictions & boundaries their new environments provide.

I may have to write a book on my new methods of proper cat care. It's a new & exciting way of keeping cats & I am sure many cat owners will be anxious to follow my lead & begin enclosing their cats in old aquariums.

Remember too, aquariums can be LARGE. My biggest tank -- shown in the photos -- is a 55 gallon tank. There is room for probably one or two more cats to share the space. [I know... that's really cramping them up, but, they're cats. They'll learn to adapt & figure which one of the group is going to get stepped on.]

It was pointed out to me -- see the "comments" section of the blog -- that I wrote about having my youngest cat -- THE WOBBLER -- joining me & sitting on my lap while typing at the computer, & how could that be if she was in her aquarium tank ??

Well, DUH !!! The cats are my pets & as such, they get let out occasionally to socialize. If they are especially good, I.E., eat all their food, don't make a lot of noise or don't try to escape from their tank, the cats can earn "free time" & be allowed out for a few extra minutes.

The photo above shows Nibblets -- the oldest kitten -- "visiting" her Mother, Precious, at the aquarium tank that houses her Mother. Nibblets had earned the time. Both cats sense this is a "privilege" & spend most of the time trying to touch or smell each other through the glass. It's quite sweet how they try to get to each other despite the glass.

So everyone, don't be too quick to judge -- or mis-judge -- new ideas & techniques in proper cat care. I've read several times that man has never truly domesticated the cat, unlike dogs which went from wolves to lap dogs in several generations. My methods may just be what is needed for cats to "catch up" & learn to live their life serving humans. Dogs do it. Why not cats ??

4 comments:

  1. Bwaaa-ha! That was a good, funny post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not funny! I'm still sure you are not serious, but this is getting pretty scary. You are far too convincing. You just wait until Bubba reads this one!!
    "Weiner"

    ReplyDelete
  3. WLB, you need to get back outside, busy doing yardwork and looking for wayward turtles, etc. Weiner, I don't believe this story for a second. His cats can and will sleep/sit/stroll anywhere they desire. BTW, Bubbette and I stopped the other day and moved a big ole turtle/tortoise from the middle of the road (in your honor).
    Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  4. I taught my Bubba well.

    Save the turtles !!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete