Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

BREAKING OLD HABITS

Being a cat owner ... ah ... make that a "cat home provider", is probably a good match-up between me, Precious, Nibblets & THE WOBBLER. We all seem to have our own unique habits, likes & dislikes, & in many cases, daily situations we repeat.

"The Girls" all have favorite places within the house where they like to relax -- Precious in one of the office chairs, the other two cats like the living room chair (But, will "battle" over who got there first.).

When it comes to feeding time, Precious will share a large plate of food with Nibblets. They eat on the side porch. Wobs however, will only eat by herself, from her own dish, on the kitchen floor.

Sometimes -- maybe to mess with my head, or maybe they are just being cats -- they will deviate from a "routine" & find a new way to do something, or a new place to park themselves.

After at least a year of always being found snoozing in "her chair" at my desk, [I've had to move the other chair from the computer each time I have needed to sit at the desk.] Precious -- for the past 6-8 weeks -- has moved to a new favorite location.

Precious can now be found in the old empty 55 gallon, metal framed, slate bottom aquarium, which is on a stand on the enclosed side porch. Yes, she enters & exits on her own, regardless of what I may have written about in the past.

[NOTE: This aquarium is "vintage". They don't construct them this way anymore. I've had it for years & it was a major reason my one & only marriage ended & I got divorced. But, that's a story for another time & post.]

Many times, day or night, Precious can be found stretched out napping, or just sitting in the aquarium, looking contented. This is her new "relaxing place" ... [with an homage to Uncle Remus.]

Like my cats, I too am a creature of habits. Especially the first few hours each morning.

I like to get out of bed, make it up quickly, check & refill the cat's water bowl, at the same time I heat some H2O for a cup of instant coffee. [No coffee makers for me.] I also "sift" the litter box & get the computer turned on. If I am hustling & "on time", I get everything done just as the H2O boils & I can make my one cup of (instant) coffee.

I have other "habits" for my morning hours, all up to & including my morning walk/jog. If everything doesn't go as "scheduled" -- starting with the first task, making the bed -- I get caught off guard & out of kilter.

Yes, I know my habits are a form of self-induced stress & something I need to correct about myself. However, it looks as if others are taking the initiative in helping me change my ways.

Most days now, one or more cats, is staying on/in bed, refusing to get out/off the bed, so that I can make up the bed ... my first of many activities for the morning. It has thrown me "off schedule", but it has also made me realize how much I can get caught up in running around trying to do too much, too soon in the day. All old (bad) habits.

This A.M., there was an un-made bed in this house until 9:30, when Precious & Nibblets (above) FINALLY got off the bed.

4 comments:

  1. Instant coffee....YUK. I would say YUK for the "comforter" but I think maybe Hilda made that for you, in which case it loooks nice. If she didn't, then YUK. Also, I'm really waiting for the long story on Nanci and the big "D". I'm also still waiting on Weiner's version of those Honeoye HS days...So much to tell y'all.

    Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too!! I'M still waiting to hear about that "one time only" marriage and what the old fashioned aquarium did to screw that up! As far as the Honeoye HS days, I'm not sure I would know where to start.
    (I believer the "comforter" did come from Hilda. I recognize it as similar to many like it that I have from my mom. They may not be beautiful, but they are very special.)
    "Weiner"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with those other folks on the stories yet to be told.

    I was going to say I love that comforter. It's the kind of thing I grew up with and for some reason those things become ugly to us, but I've recently been learning about some people who are SEARCHING for just such old homemade goodies. It's changed my eyes to see how lovely they really are.

    I think we're all done with hurricane Alex. Some tornado action in nearby counties. None here.

    ReplyDelete