Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Sunday, June 20, 2010

BECAUSE I CARE ...

Anyone who has a cat or two -- or more -- in the house, knows the sensation of "noises" occurring. Such sounds can be anything from two cats sounding off at each other ... fights/disagreements happening ... up to & including LOUD noises, usually the sound of a cat hollering, then a loud CRASHING sound, quickly followed by one or more cats racing away in panic mode from where the sound originated. It then becomes the owners job to investigate, correct, repair & wait for the next occurrence of "noises".

When my cats had the free run of the house, "noises" would happen on a semi-regular basis. My adaptation of using old aquariums for "cat housing" has [mostly] brought a well received quietness to my home.

But ... still "events" occur, as one did to start my day this A.M.

I got up this morning about 4:30 A.M. Making my way towards the kitchen, I became aware of a strange noise coming from the enclosed side porch. Investigating, I found it to be a cat clinging to the window screen outside, attempting to get to the open window. The cat looked like my Wobs.

In my early morning, pre-coffee brain, I stood transfixed, trying to figure out how Wobs had gotten outside. After a few seconds, the proper neurons kicked in & I realized it was not Wobs, but in fact a look-alike tortoise-shell colored cat.

Whether looking for food, companionship or a home, the stranger made several attempts to enter, including going to the glass door & rubbing repeatedly back & forth. I finally had to go out the front door, circle around the house & surprise the potential invader at the other door. It ran off, came back, got chased this time & has not [yet] returned.

Living in the country, strange & stray dogs & cats make their appearances known on an all too frequent basis. People let them go ... "to find a better home".

They dump them is what they do. A cruel & bitter way for the animal, which suffers more from the efforts required to survive; for however short a time that may be.

I wish I could open my heart & home to the strays which appear. It pains me to know these animals have probably once had a place to call "home" & through no fault of their own, now find themselves faced with utter uncertainty.

But ... my main concern & love is directed to my three cats. There is the danger of fighting, injury & disease if my cats were to mingle or interact with strange/unknown cats. Feral intruders/visitors are not welcome here.

Because I care, I gain more confidence that my new methods of caring for my little buddies is the best for all concerned. I have experimented & done some "re-arranging" to make the accommodations right for all the cats.

For one thing, the "single" aquarium, with one cat set-up, did not work well for Wobs. She's a friendly & social cat, while her sister [Nibblets] seems to like the isolation a (former) fish tank can provide. Wobs needs companionship.

I've moved Wobs (red collar) in with her Mother -- Precious -- in the largest of the tanks I use. Initially, Momma Kitty was not thrilled sharing the space with Wobs. I admit it is a bit cramped with two full grown cats. Actually, Precious equals one & a half cats all by herself.

They are "adjusting" to living together in the tank & I am sure they will soon settle down & begin showing the required "good behavior" necessary to get some valuable time outside of the aquarium.

I wish there was some way to really communicate to my cats ... to let them know & understand they are loved & wanted, not like the poor cat at the door early this morning. The conditions my cats are living in are best for them, their health & well being. They may not realize it, but, it is.

Because I care ... they share the aquarium.

3 comments:

  1. I'm beginning to wonder if the cats really are okay.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've gone off the deep end.
    "Weiner"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sick.......you're just sick..

    Bubba

    ReplyDelete