Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

SPRING ... MAYBE

After too many weeks & days of starts & stops, it looks as if Spring is finally starting to take definite steps in getting the new growing season started.

For all the naked trees & corresponding fields & lawns of brown, dead grass & foliage ... FINALLY some color is starting to appear in the landscape. Not much, mind you, but after so many days of cold weather, major snow & rain measured in inches -- like last night's thunderstorms -- ANY color other than brown is welcomed on my property.

The Forsythia bushes are providing their usual shower of blossoms. Later, when they leaf-out, the plants will provide some camouflage for the A/C unit, but right now, their pleasant yellow color stands out nicely in the yard.

Above is a photo of some of the Bradford Pears on my property. This tree in the South is one of the first to bloom & the white flowers are very common in all the landscapes, from rural areas to the busiest of downtown streets.

Bradford Pear trees are very quick growing, nicely shaped & colorful. Unfortunately, they are not a long living tree ( 20 years ??) & "brittle" when it comes to the strength of their branches. Strong winds quickly break these trees apart.

The Bradford Pears lining the main street in Lonoke, Arkansas took a major beating from last weeks storms. Traveling there Monday, I could see where "straight line winds" took down several dozen trees in the town's center, leaving gaping holes in the texture & configuration of the landscape. Not pretty.

The tree in the right side of the above photo is in my south yard & shows damage to the trunk's base where it has lost almost half of the tree on a total of two occasions. One more time & the tree will probably be "finished" in my yard.

Above: Nice color & contrast between the trees & the green grass. Okay ... weeds. Remember, it's not a lawn, but a field mowed close to the ground. No Bermuda grass here.

I have never felt my Bradford Pear trees where the most colorful in the Spring, not when compared to so many others I would see this time of year. My trees always had fewer flowers than neighbor's trees, but my tree's were quicker to leaf out & be full green. Maybe because my trees were from Wal*Mart. "Cheap-O's".

This year is the best my Bradford Pear's have ever looked & I hope this is a clear indication that Spring is finally here. Maybe. Hopefully.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, its here my Bradford Pear is blooming and my grass is turning green. Got to buy a new lawn mower in a few weeks, mine died back in September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mower was delivered back to me Friday, as I was running errands, which included getting a five gallon can of gas for $17.00 ($3.39 a gallon).

    As soon as everything dries out -- next week -- the grass cutting season will begin & the oil companies will add to their profits.

    ReplyDelete