Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

IS IT 4 P.M. YET ??

Well ... after writing several times recently about the advent of Spring weather & the improved conditions for outdoor activities, it all went for naught this weekend. It seems like Winter returned.

The past few days have found central Arkansas with high temperatures in the low-to-mid 40's, with periods of rain & fog. Those are not my favorable conditions for being outside working in the yard.

Other than going for my daily walk at 7 A.M. this morning & refilling all the bird feeders when I returned, this has been a totally "indoor day". Even "The Girls" have not ventured out too often.

On the positive side, I have done all my laundry, rearranged the "kat fud" in the pantry & found an old kitchen appliance I have not used in decades.  Several decades !!

I believe I purchased this crock pot in the mid 1970's.  I've probably used it no more than three or four times & that would back when I first bought it. 

Well ... it came back to life today.

This weather is the perfect time to try out the crock pot by making up a batch of my "famous" chili.


All my ingredients are in & cooking slowly on the counter next to the sink.  It will sure taste good when I have my dinner around 4 P.M.  [That's when old people eat their "early bird dinners".]

I have "tested" my chili & taken "samples" on various -- necessary -- trips into the kitchen.  As long as I don't get a bowl out of the cupboard, or start crumbling up crackers, I am still just ... "snacking".

But, darn !!  Isn't it 4 o'clock ... yet ?? !!

4 comments:

  1. I am nearly rolling with laughter! You say things, I only "think". I plan to eat the beef stew I cooked at 5:00. Do you mean when I get older (ha) I will be eating at 4:00? My, my . . . something ELSE to look forward to. Your chili looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That appliance is positively retro. And now I can smell chili cooking. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe I purchased this crock pot in the mid 1970's.

    My wife has close to twenty small kitchen appliances that she never uses but refuses to throw away or even sale. They take of a huge amount of storage space making other needed things hard to find. I keep making a promise to myself to secretly get rid of a few but expect the second I did she would want to use the item I just tossed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *** I actually ate closer to 3:30 P.M.

    *** Retro & it worked great !!

    *** NEVER throw anything away, if there is the EVER the chance you'll need it. [Well, I did go through the pantry yesterday & "toss" a bunch of jars/cans with VERY OLD dates on them. I do throw out food.]

    ReplyDelete