Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

CLEAN-UP CREW

A major weather event is under way all across the USA. Predictions have either snow, ice & rain -- along with possibilities of tornado's in the South -- affecting more than 33 states, some with forecasts of RECORD amounts of precipitation.

It looks -- so far -- as if central Arkansas is only going to have rain & thunder storms today. The really "bad" weather -- ice & snow -- will be on the West & North sides of the state & mostly confined to the Northwest corner of Arkansas. I hope that's true.

Later tonight, the bottom will fall out on the temperatures & we will see lows in the teens. Add to that, increasing high winds, which will take the wind-chill down even lower. Damp, freezing cold; not my favorite conditions.

I'm all settled in for the next few days of whatever weather comes this way. As long as I have utilities -- gas & electric -- me, my critters & cats will be okay. We will be safe & warm inside.

Well ... the majority of us will be.

So far, despite the A.M. rain, both Nibblets & Wobs HAD to go out the front door first thing this morning. It's almost a daily ritual, whatever the weather conditions. At least it is for Miss Nibs.

Wobs was soon back at the side door, crying out to me, as if it was MY FAULT she got wet outside. I held her & comforted her until she was soon purring in my arms. She can just break my heart.

Nibblets is a different story, one that is obviously -- as history shows -- due to play out all day today. Nibs just does not want to stay inside, no matter how wet she gets when she goes out. She will not stay in the shelter of the front porch when it rains.

So, today, I will be faced with Nibblets wanting -- NO -- demanding to go out the door. I'll then keep checking both doors until she returns -- WET -- & comes inside to be dried off with a towel, eats a bit of a snack & starts the process all over again. Inside/out. Inside/out.

On one of Nibblets first sojourns out this morning, when she returned to the porch, she was with a "visitor" ... probably the same one who had been at the door last night. Nibs was keeping her distance from the "guest" & Nibblets jumped in the door as soon as it was opened.

About 8 P.M. last night -- Yes, I was still up & awake -- I heard Precious GROWLING at the front door, a sound she, or any of the cats, doesn't usually make. It was then that I saw the LARGE possum on the porch. Precious was none too pleased to have the intruder on the other side of the glass door.

This possum -- or other possums (who can tell them apart ??) -- was no doubt attracted to the smells associated with the bird "parts" which had been on the porch previously. I had cleaned the latest crime scene earlier in the day.

With the return visit this morning, this possum was probably the final ... "Clean-Up Crew".

5 comments:

  1. We had a possum in our garage one night and when my wife discovered it she screamed so loudly I thought we had a zombie or terrorist outside. The poor thing was far more scared of her.

    Looking at a rainy weekend here, hopefully it will be just as the weather people describe, that way I can get out of yard work.

    Still trying to get motivated since the cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The people forecasting our weather were spot on -- thunder storms & several inches of rain this A.M. & very windy & cold now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Possum: The only North American marsupial. Yours is kind of pretty.

    Darryl has covered many of the most tender plants. I'm not optimistic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it's not wise to feed the "wild" animals, but, you do the birds....and all the poor animals need food in the winter time. Leave some scraps away from the house for the poor critter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I no longer leave food for the cats outside, on the porch as I once did, as it tends attracted "visitors".

    I do leave old bread & some "scraps" along the fence line & there is also the stuff tossed on the compost pile, which is some distance from the house.

    Although with said efforts, one has to remmember this is Arkansas & people living in this state do not believe in containing their dogs, dispite the leash law in effect. If I was ONLY feeding strays & hungry animals, I would, but attracting & feeding Fido is NOT in my plans.

    ReplyDelete