Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

YESTERDAY AND TODAY

The national news TV stations last night had feature segments on the snow which inundated Arkansas yesterday. The Northwest part of the state got it the worst, with up to 24 inches of snow accumulation. Good for sledding. Bad for driving.

Here in central Arkansas, there was seven inches of snow on the ground, arriving & staying, from 7:30 A.M. until it stopped at 4 P.M. Like many people before me, I took a ruler outside with me to make sure my estimate was "official". Yep ... seven inches.

I shoveled my sidewalks despite it still snowing when I did so. I'm old school ... as well as being from upstate New York. So I shovel the snow, knowing it is just that much less snow to shovel ... later. I also shoveled a path down the middle of my driveway, to the road out front.

The snow yesterday was coming down in a steady manner. The photo above is looking North & the road seems to disappear into the snow. The only "tracks" in the road were from Mr. Herman's jeep. He's my mailman.

This photo is looking back down my driveway. Not much to see, as everything is encased in white. This picture was taken before I did my shoveling, as testified by just footprints leading back to the house.

This is at the front road, looking North, today. The few cars that have traveled on the road have made some progress in helping the snow to melt. The exposed blacktop will be warmed by the sun, further melting the snow. The problem is this "slush" will re-freeze tonight & be VERY dangerous in the morning. Ah ... for anyone having to drive to work.

NOTE: Apparently none of the tire tracks were made from the newspapers delivery person. NO newspaper was delivered today.

Where I shoveled snow yesterday, is helping melt the snow today & making the "path" to the road easier to navigate. I can wear my "rubber shoes" to go to the road, rather than having to put on my "big boots". Well, I can go to the road to get the mail when it arrives. Maybe too, in the morning, I'll have two newspapers ... or ... none at all.

This photo was taken of my property to the South of my house. I thought the effect of the snow & evergreens made for a nice Christmas effect. Added to that -- at least I know it to be true -- is the "clumps" in the tall tree in the left of the picture, are those of mistletoe. [Not that I ever find anyone standing under that tree.]

I spent some time today digging the truck out of the snow & getting the snow off it. My "helper" -- Precious, AKA "Momma Kitty" -- can be seen under the truck, to the left of my Parrothead license plate.

The finished result. I also started the engine & ran the motor to use the truck's defroster/heater. All this will make it easier to drive the truck & get it out of the driveway ... if necessary. I'm thinking the roads may be drivable -- for me -- by Saturday. I'm in no hurry.

Precious made some attempts at stalking the hundreds of birds visiting the various feeding stations, all with no success. I think she just found the snow -- patted down by all the little bird feet -- easier to traverse than the deeper parts of the yard.

The weather forecast for next week -- & the predictions have been 100% recently -- call for temperatures to get up into the 60's. Bring it on. After yesterday & today ... I'm ready to to return to a yard of -- rather than snow -- dead leaves & mud.

6 comments:

  1. We were preparing for the worst here last night, the weather dude had us targeted for about an inch last night but the front stalled for several hours. Usually when they say an "inch" we get hammered past the point our area can handle the snow.

    When it finally moved through the temperature had risen and all we got was a little sleet which quickly changed over to rain as the morning progressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always amazed when 4 or 5 days in advance they can tell us what the weather is going to be & it comes true.

    Still ... there are times -- usually with BAD weather -- where I am happy that the forecast doesn't come true.

    In Memphis days, we used to joke about the forecast in the Summer was "partly cloudy", which would mean thunderstorrms & 3-4 inches of rain. Winter would be "no accumulation", meaning we would end up with 6-10 inches of snow.

    The "weather dudes" are getting better -- thank goodness -- all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're referring to Dave Brown, weatherman at Channel 5 in Mphs. He was (is) right on for the opposite reality vs forecast. I'm looking at your photo by the bamboo more often now just so I can regain a sense of what summer weather looks like.

    Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  4. This snow is NOT melting fast enough & the temperature is NOT warming up fast enough.

    Today I shoveled out the back of my truck. I had to wear sun glasses it was so bright outside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might as well still be living in upstate NY!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And you might as well be living in the Florida Keys.

    Oh, wait. You are !!

    ReplyDelete