Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

HE'S WRONG

The outdoor vegetation color pallet in central Arkansas this time of year is very limited . Mostly just the colors green & brown.

The color green is represented by the numerous pine trees. Brown is the color of the dead/died fields & lawns, along with the leaf-less trees. After all the rain we had yesterday, brown is also the color of all the flooding water everywhere.

We escaped the ice & snow which has engulfed so much of the United States the past few days. Still, we had thunder storms & MAJOR amounts of rain. This area being in the flood plane of the Arkansas River, it does just that; floods.

It rained all night & up until 11 A.M. Tuesday. Then, the wind arrived & the temperatures started dropping rapidly. It was 53 degrees at noon. 32 degrees by 5 P.M.

I did do a limited inspection of my property yesterday once the rain had stopped. LOTS of standing water for sure, but then, that's ... well ... "normal" with any big rain event. I've had worse.

There were no trees or branches on the ground, so that was the good news. Even today, after the constant wind yesterday, my land is devoid of sticks & branches. I am on a winning streak.

I took a few photos while I was outside yesterday & will share them below.






This is certainly NOT my favorite time of year. Way too wet, cold & damp, with much too much effort required to be "comfortably dressed" outside. I prefer shorts & flip-flops.

The color brown is well represented in all the life-less landscape, be it the trees, ground or the flowing brown water in the creek. The bamboo keeps it's green color all year round & adds some hope the the rest of the landscape will shortly follow suit.

My bamboo species 'Robert Young' -- shown in the second & third photos -- adds some nice yellow color, as well as breaks up the monotony of just brown & green every where.

As much as I wish that Spring was soon to start, I think the Groundhog got it all wrong with "his forecast" this morning. We WILL have six more weeks of Winter.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know about 6 more wks of winter...I saw a guy on tv the other day on some channel...FOX NEWS, I think,(which makes it true) saying that we would have an early arrival of warmer than normal temps this year. As usual, I'm countin' on FOX!

    Earl P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would that "warmer than normal temperatures" be the GLOBAL WARMING Fox Noise ... doesn't believe in ??

    ReplyDelete