Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Monday, December 13, 2010

"TURN OUT THE LIGHTS ..."

I (almost) never look at the obituary pages in the newspaper. Seems depressing, especially since I am getting older. A lot of people being written up are younger than me.

I have some friends who ALWAYS read the page of obits. Not just a paragraph or description, but every article, about every person.

I figure if someone dying is important enough, the information will be on the main pages of the paper, or on the Internet. Everyone else, well, I'll depend on one of my friends to keep me aware/updated on someones "passing".

Don Meredith died last week. "Dandy Don" made the "main pages", for sure. At one time, he was the star quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys football team & later one of the announcers when Monday Night Football was first broadcast on ABC television.

I hate the Dallas Cowboys. I LOVE any team that beats them. Last night, that love affair would be with the Philadelphia Eagles, who beat the Cowboys.

The Dallas football team now has only four wins this year. They've lost NINE times ... so far. Hopefully, they will lose a few more times this season.

Sad to say, but at one time I LOVED the Cowboys; way back in time, when Don Meredith was their quarterback.

Back then, the Cowboys actually played their games in Dallas, not in Arlington, Texas. They played in the Cotton Bowl. Outdoors. Not in some billion dollar stadium, that owner Jerry Jones built.

Every year, "Dandy Don" would lead my beloved Cowboys to exciting winning seasons, culminating in a divisional championship.

Then, every year in the NFL Championship game, the Green Bay Packers would hand the Cowboy's their butt.

I loved the Cowboys back then, but each year, Don Meredith couldn't seem to help the team win "The Big One". Every year, he & the team, broke my heart.

When "Dandy" retired early & moved on to being the color commentator for football games, I lost interest in the Cowboys.

Gradually, I came to detest the Cowboys. Still do. I'm not sure why.

It was just the opposite for Don Meredith. I always liked him & was glad when he was announcing & no longer getting clobbered on the football field. I would always think of him when I would be in Texas & be driving through Mount Pleasant, his hometown.

On many of the football game telecasts , as it became clear one team was about to win, the "good-old-boy" in Don would break into song, singing: "Turn out the lights ... the party's over".

"Dandy's" gone now. God bless Don Meredith.

The lights are out & the party is over.

5 comments:

  1. I gave up on the Cowboys when Jerry Jones fired Jimmy Johnson. Since then I geta thrill everytime they lose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in Arkansas, I found that J. Jones is revered as some sort of "god" (small "g") in this state. He went to the U of A & gives major $$ to the university.

    I always check when Jerry is in the local news -- too often for my stomach -- to see if he has had any recent "face tightening".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written and interesting. You're getting better than Wally Hall.

    I won't make the front page but I hope someone lets you know when I make the obits.

    Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Cowboys lost?

    I read the obits (or peruse). It's complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bubba -- A Wally Hall reference is no complement.

    You are the only person I know who looks at the obits on newspaper web sites. For that reason alone, you will probably be on the FRONT PAGE of several papers, in several cities when you go.

    Stacey -- The Cowboys lost & last night the Houston team lost. Texas is zero for two the past 10 days.

    ReplyDelete