Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Friday, December 3, 2010

BROCCOLI IS MY FRIEND

I love pizza. I could eat it each night for dinner & then have the leftover slices -- if there were any -- for breakfast the next day.

Hot or cold. I love pizza.

When I lived in Bartlett, Tennessee -- an exclusive suburb of Memphis -- my home was quite close to two pizza chains -- Domino's & Poppa John's. Not too many Friday night's went by without a pizza being delivered to my home.

For toppings I would get pepperoni, onions & black olives. On a LARGE pizza.

I would often call in my order & tell them I had a "special" coupon, from another pizza company. Would they accept the coupon ?? They always did.

They never asked me for the coupon when the pizza was delivered. Good thing, since I made up the coupons & the "special" when I called in the order.

I'd call & say: "I have a coupon from (other company) for a large, hand-tossed, three-topping pizza for ... ah ... $5.99. Will you honor that"??

Viva La Competition !!

I may have "cheated" a bit on the pizza & the price, but never on the tip to the guy or gal delivering the pizza. Minimum tip: $5.00. The tip is where they make their money.

It was interesting that the people delivering were always the same folks. I guess they knew my address was easy money for them.

I love pizza. Just writing about pizza make me want one real bad. I can almost taste it right now.

As much as I love & have enjoyed so many pizzas, I have not eaten one since April of 2007. That was the last time.

There are a many foods I have not eaten since April 2007. Think onion rings, hamburgers, ice cream, tacos & a lot of other common foods which used to be on my plate.

I also don't drink beer, wine or hard liquor any more. No thanks. I'll drink water.

In April, 2007 was when I had my heart surgery. Since then, I've tried to make up for all the poor eating habits I had for so many years.

I still grave certain "treats". What I would not give for a handful of peanut M&M's.

The Dustin cartoon above is a reminder of some of my eating habits in the past ... & the results of same.

Now days ... it's "NO" to pizza for me, along with a lot of other foods I loved & consumed in the past, as if there were no consequences.

Well, there were consequences. They are called "scars" & I've got them on my chest & left leg as a reminder.

Now days, I eat a lot of vegetables. No "flesh foods", other than some chicken every so often.

Tonight for my dinner I'm having noodles & broccoli.

After all ... broccoli is my friend.

But, I still would LOVE a pizza !!!

6 comments:

  1. broccoli is my friend.

    Seriously, I'm moving away from pizza as well and more into the healthy stuff. I fall off the wagon too often but I'm far better than I was just last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, Wm...if I remember correctly, what you really loved more than the $5.99 "large" pizzas was when the pizza delivery person arrived 1 or more minutes past the promised delivery window and you got the pizza FREE. And you were the guy holding the stop watch. Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beach Bum -- "Victory thru vegtables".

    Bubba -- You ARE getting old. That "30 Minutes, or It's Free" went away years ago. I guess they had to surrender too many pizza's without getting their $$.

    While still doing my Friday night's in Bartlett, they changed to "30 Minutes, or, $3.00 Off".

    I got a lot of $2.99 pizza's. [But, I still gave them $5.00 for the tip.]

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you had noodles and broccoli. That's it? That's the recipe? What I'm asking, Bill, is how do you make it taste good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa there, young lady !! Are you asking what I ADD to the mix of noodles & broccoli to give it that great taste ??

    Did you also inquire to McDonald's too, as to what is in their "special sauce" on the Big Mac ??

    Really ... there needs to be a few "secrets' in the kitchens of GREAT CHEFS !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I want to know how to make restaurant recipes, I go to Robbie's Recipes, her copycat section http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/Copycat.html

    Sheesh!

    And thanks for the email detailing the myriad ways one can jazz up broccoli and noodles!!

    ReplyDelete