Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

NIBBLETS

Of the three cats which live with me, I have written in detail on two of them -- Precious, who is the mother cat & THE WOBBLER [Wobs] who is the youngest of the group. It's time I wrote a few paragraphs about Nibblets, the older sister/stepsister of Wobs.

Nibblets was born on my front porch on March 22nd, 2007. She was -- by some act of God -- the only survivor of a batch of six kittens born to Precious. This was probably due to the fact that Precious was too young to be having babies & it seems neither she nor I knew much of what to do at that point in time. [It was learn-as-you go for both of us, with me assisting with umbilical cord cutting.]

Despite semi-poor mothering skills, freezing temperatures & and a human [me] who wasn't sure they even wanted cats around here, Nibblets survived, mostly on her own. The fact I had major surgery several weeks after she was born only added to the difficulties. To this day, I feel some guilt about the conditions she faced.

NOTE: When Precious had a second batch of kittens on June 6th, 2007 -- nine this time -- she was more mature & physically ready for all mothering duties, & did the whole birthing process on her own. No help from me this time. This batch of kittens provided me with Wobs.

I realize now that Nibs would have benefited from being raised with siblings/litter mates. She is the "roughest" of the three cats & often has to be chastised to ... "play nice". Nibs can play too rough with Wobs & seems to delight in stalking her smaller sized sister, either in the house or in the yard. Being in a litter of kittens would have "taught" Nibs the proper ways to play. [Ever the "Mom", Precious will still give Nibs a good chase & as she gets older, Wobs is standing up for herself more & more with her sister.]

As she has gotten older, Nibblets is becoming more mellow. While not the "lap cat" which both Precious & Nibs are, Nibs will still seek me out & almost demand her chin & ears to be scratched for several minutes. When she's had enough ... off she goes.

As each cat has a distinct & unique personality, Nibblets is the most "outdoor" of the three. When I first get up in the morning, she wants to go out. She remains outside for an hour or two, then returns to the door to be let inside for breakfast, a nap & then back out.

Often, Nibblets doesn't want to come back inside at night. The other two cats will be at the door when it gets dark, ready to come in for the night. Sometimes Nibs is a "no-show". I have to wait on her, often going to the door every 15 minutes to look to see if she has arrived back. Finally she is at the door & comes in for the night.

Last night she didn't come home. Between six & nine P.M., I had to keep removing Precious from her cozy spot on my lap & would go to both doors to check for Nibblets. I even took the flashlight & walked around outside calling for her. No Nibs.

I gave up & went to bed. A few minutes later I thought I heard something. I got up to check the doors again. Still no cat.

I woke at two A.M. I got out of bed & checked the front door, then the side door. There was Nibblets, ready to run in & go straight for the food bowl. I was so glad to see her I didn't even bother to scold her, as if that does any good with a cat.

Nibblets has been inside all day, probably due to the wind & rain we have had, rather than being too tired from her night outside. As a matter of fact, all three cats have been inside all day.

As I finished the paragraph above, Nibblets came into the room, let out a squeak which means "follow me" in cat talk & led me to the side door. She's gone outside again, now the rain has stopped. I wonder when she will come back tonight ... or ... in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. Your concern for Nibs is a familiar one to me as well. On my Entropified blog I have a poem called Eviscerated. Even though it's ultimately about parenting humans, its inspiration was the pain I would feel when one of my cats would be missing.

    Nibs is cute!

    ReplyDelete