Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

"MOLLY POLLY"

I have a lot of calenders in my house. In my "office" alone, I can see I have seven calendars surrounding me. They range in size from small -- such as my daily Dilbert calendar --to the full size, wall hanging type. [I have two of that size in here -- one with turtles on it & the other has old black & white pictures from earlier years in Rochester, New York.]

I also have another calendar which I carry around in my "man purse". It's included in the wallet I sometimes carry since it also has my cash money, credit cards & a section for phone numbers. This calender has my appointments -- like going the dentist this week -- events I have scheduled -- such as the Reptile Expo in Florida in August -- & other important reminders, such as birthdays & anniversaries.

The page in my wallet for yesterday, March 27th, had a reminder written next to the date -- March, 1995 ... "Molly Polly" died.

Fifteen years ago yesterday, Molly Rainey died of cancer. She was 33 years old when she passed & it has always stayed with me her dying at such an early age. It always seems so unjust ... to die so early.

I'd love to write about how Molly & I were once "an item", but the truth is she hardly ever gave me the time of day when we did speak. I was certainly not as impressive to her, as she was to me. She was a woman I found attractive & from what I learned of her, quite talented & interesting.

Back in the early 90's, we both worked at the same location in Memphis. She was in the Art Department for Schering-Plough & I was in Customer Service for Maybelline. I would sometimes see her in the halls at work or in the cafeteria both companies shared. I'd be friendly when I said "Hi". I might get a response, but we never ... "talked"

Molly was "friendly" on one or two occasions Those times, when she smiled, laughed & showed her charm to me, were at annual Jimmy Buffett concerts at the Mud Island Amphitheater on the Mississippi river, in downtown Memphis. I realized she had a couple beers in her, & that was the reason for her being so engaging when I walked up & talked to her. Still, I took it as a good sign.

But back in the "real world", things never got traction for me & nothing ever came of my attempts to break the ice which surrounded Molly. She became someone I looked forward to "seeing" in the building at work, but that was all it ever was to become.

I used to get to work early & my friend Mertle would go with me to the cafeteria for breakfast. It was our way to get the day started & ease into "work mode". Many times we'd see Molly come in the cafeteria to get her breakfast "to go". It was obvious Molly liked her food spicy, as she would stop at a table & shake a LOT of pepper on her food. I'd follow along, counting to Mertle the number of "shakes" I saw Molly put on her food. I think the record was 40 shakes. [Hey !! If the woman won't give me the time of day ... mock her !!]

I had nicknames for many people I would see at work. Some people knew the name & responded to it, with good nature. [Think of "Bubba".] For others, it was just my "code" for them. For some reason I called Molly, "Molly Polly". Don't ask me why.

So things remained status quo. Sometimes I would see Molly every day. Other times, not so often. What would be, would be.

And then Molly got sick. She got breast cancer, which must have progressed quickly. From "sources", I learn she was very sick & the prognosis was not good.

I never saw her again & she died that day in March back in 1995. I took an afternoon off from work & attended her memorial service in West Memphis, Arkansas.


I can't explain why her death sticks with me so. I can't remember what date -- or year -- my own Father died. But, I remember Molly.

I think it's because to this day, I still feel it is so unfair when she died so young. I keep questioning why she got 33 years of life & so far I've had almost 63. Why have I gotten a longer shot at life ??

She was a real pretty lady, who should have gotten married & had a happy life with kids & family. It bothers me that none of that was to be & I never have an answer for myself as to why her chances for such things in life were never to be.

For someone who never allowed me into her life, she sure sticks in mine, even 15 years later.

Somewhere, Molly is painting, smiling, eating her spicy food & listening to the music of Jimmy Buffett.

Rest in peace, "Molly Polly".

2 comments:

  1. I, too, remember Molly and your infatuation with her. You didn't hide it and it was one of the few times you exposed yourself enough to let us poke at you. Yep, it doesn't always seem that life is fair but we have to believe that God is in charge and knows best.

    BTW, Molly probably had a Grandpa and didn't need another one.

    Bubba

    ReplyDelete