Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Friday, March 12, 2010

IT'S NOT ME ... I SWEAR

In my last post, I wrote about living in the central New York area & going to the movies; at theaters & drive-in's. I had a comment where I remembered, as a young child, going to downtown Rochester with my Mother, riding the ... "trolley/subway". This would have been in the mid-1950's.

Well, as the saying goes: "Great minds think alike." A unique thing happened this past Wednesday, thanks to Hilda.

In a package from my Mother in Florida, she enclosed a 2010 yearly calendar titled "Rochester Memories", published by the Rochester newspaper, the Democrat & Chronicle. The calendar features old photos on each page, from the 1940's to the 60's.

For the month of June this year, the photo below was included. It's a classic example of the unique look of what I always called "the subway". It was above ground over much of it's route & went "under ground" when it approached the downtown of Rochester.

I learned from the calendar the official name was The Rochester Industrial & Rapid Transit Railway. It went out of service on June 30, 1956.

Now ... before anyone leaves a comment on my blog -- THIS MEANS YOU, BUBBA -- trying to indicate I am somehow one of the people in the picture -- it's not true !!! This is not some old family photo I've pull out an old album of pictures.

Now I realize one of the incriminating bits of "evidence" would be the considerable amount of plaid clothing being worn by the individuals boarding the rail car. Pure coincidence !! And ... I would never wear plaid SOCKS. [Well, I don't think I ever have ... would have ... might ... maybe.]

Just another "memory" ... because the older you get, the more God gives you.

I'm racking up a bunch.

1 comment:

  1. I have that calendar, too! Believe it or not, I meant to send it to you back when it first arrived, but with all our travel back and forth, it somehow got packed to come down here with me. Glad you got a copy. Where did Hilda get it?
    "Weiner"

    ReplyDelete