Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Saturday, November 26, 2011

MEOWATHON - 2011

It's hard to believe, but it has already been a week since I traveled over to Memphis, Tennessee for the annual MEOWATHON.  This 5k run/walk was the 8th "Run For The Claws", held to raise money & support for The House of Mews in Memphis.  This small, non-profit organization, located in the Cooper-Young District of Memphis, is a no-kill cat sanctuary & adoption facility.

As with many of my trips to Memphis, an early start was in order & I left home shortly before 5:30 A.M.  I was of course, out of bed hours before that, to be sure my own three "girls" had time for their normal morning exploration outside & be safely ensconced in the house before I left, as I knew I would not be returning till much later in the day.  As it turned out ... much later in the day.  

The MEOWATHON is held in Overton Park, a centrally located public park which is also home to the Memphis Zoo. The pavilion -- partially shown above -- is the center location for the event, as well as the silent auction, snacks & refreshments & the awards ceremony.

My Mother, Hilda -- who lives in Florida -- hand-made the above red Teddy Bear & sent it to the HOM for inclusion in the silent auction. It was combined with other items, making up a nice gift basket, with a bid value of $50.00.

The race this year had several hundred runners/walkers.  It's always a mixed group of folks, with many experienced & serious runners, all the way to families looking to enjoy walking together through Overton Park on a pleasant Fall morning.

I always enjoy the run & the people. This was my fifth straight year to partake in the race.  The first year, following so soon after my heart surgery, I mainly walked the course.  Since then, I have run .. ah ... jogged ... the 3.2 mile course, always trying -- hoping -- to win a medal.

This year I finished third in the men's 60-64 age group & won the medalion above.  Yes, I was very proud.  I have worked hard all year long, putting in long hours at the North Little Rock Athletic Club, always trying to increase & improve my conditioning. [I'm already "training" for the 2012 MEOWATHON.]

Another highlight of the trip to Memphis, was another "annual" event:  having lunch with my close Tennessee friends (L-R) Sharon, Kathy & Larry. It's always a good time, filled with laughs, friendship & an excellent lunch at Mosa Asian Bistro.

Note:  At these annual get-together, Sharon's husband -- Marty -- never seems to get into the photos, since he's the one taking pictures.  Well, this year I've been able -- via editing out a sleepy-eyed Sharon -- to include Marty as well.

Of course, even with the best of plans, not all goes as expected.  In this case, there were major traffic delays going home on Interstate-40 in Arkansas.  I never did find out the reason for the tie-up, but an extra 90 minutes was added to the drive home.

Now ... on to the MEOWATHON - 2012 & once again ... "Run For the Claws".

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your medal. If you can make it back over to The House of Mews, you can pick up your 5x7 print. If you can't make it, let me know and I can email you the image. (Business Visuals email: bv@comcast.net)

    Thanks, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you not going to add "the rest of the story"? Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bubba -- That train ... has left the station.

    Robin -- Will send an e-mail on over, as my next two trips to Memphis are on days the HOM is not open.

    ReplyDelete