Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Monday, July 4, 2011

YANKEE DOODLE DAD

Years ago -- well, MANY years ago ... long before everyone was driving around in their car talking on their cell phones while driving -- lots of folks had CB radios in their vehicle.  It wasn't just for truck drivers any longer.

I can recall -- those MANY years ago -- my parents had a CB radio in their car & a "base unit" in their home. They lived in Honeoye, New York & my Father commuted five days a week to his job on the outskirts of Rochester, a round trip distance of about 60 miles.  Add to the length of the drive, the potential weather conditions -- not just the snow of Winter -- and a CB radio was a good tool to have while driving, to stay up-to-date on road & weather conditions.  It also came in handy to report home on any delays or problems making the drive each day.

I found the stories of the CB radio my parents had to be quite interesting.  At the time -- remember ... this was MANY years ago -- I was living in Memphis, Tennessee.  I observed the CB first hand on several visits, listening on the base unit to people calling each other as they drove along the highways. 

Most interesting was every one's "handle"; the CB nickname each person used to identify themselves as they communicated across the airways.  I remember that my Father's handle was "Yankee Doodle", which was appropriate, since his birthday was July the 4th.

Today would have been my Father's 93rd birthday.  He passed away over 20 years ago, after he & my Mother relocated to the warmer confines of Florida.  It was a smart move on his part to put the snow & cold weather behind both of them & my Mother is thankful to this day for Dad's foresight in moving.

Even though I spoke with my Mother on the phone yesterday, I called her again today, as I know she still to this day misses my Dad & can get melancholy at this date on the calender.  I like to think my phone call at this time makes her feel a little bit less lonely.

Above is an old, black & white photo of my Dad -- taken MANY, MANY years ago -- appearing not to have a care in the world, enjoying a can of suds on a warm Summer day in his hammock.

On the 4th of July ... I remember my "Yankee Doodle Dad". I hope he's still relaxing somewhere, sipping on a cold one.

3 comments:

  1. Good post! I'm sure he would still be proud of you too. Like you, I miss my dad as well.

    Earl P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Bill, Yeah I think about many of my families members that have passed on the fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, just wonderful! What a great picture and story. I love how he looks so young in the picture. I had forgotten that his birthday was on the 4th. He was a really great guy and I,too,have many happy memories of times with him in Honeoye.

    ReplyDelete