Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Thursday, July 28, 2011

I'VE BEEN BANNED

In answer to several questions regarding the lack of any kind of schedule on my part in adding postings to my blog recently, I'm going to blame it on the weather.  Yes, those hot days, without any significant rain in weeks, is what I'm going to blame on the lack of time I am spending indoors at my computer.  I like it HOT & the past month has truly been to my liking.

NOTE:  I am certainly aware of the fires in Arizona, New Mexico & Texas this year, as well as the drought conditions & lack of any rainfall, IN MONTHS -- especially in Texas -- which have caused so much  suffering.  My reference to HOT weather is the type we experience each Summer in Arkansas; temperatures approaching 100 degrees/a relentless sun in a blue, cloudless sky/humid days with nary a breeze to be found.  Yes... Summer in Arkansas.

Most days at this point in time find me hauling 200 feet of watering hose to various parts of the yard to combat the dry conditions & make every attempt to keep many of my trees & plants from burning up & dying.  I lost two Japanese Maples due to the weather last year & I am trying to avoid any "repeats".

 I really don't have the time -- or energy -- to go inside & sit at a computer when conditions call me outdoors. The blog "suffers", but it does not wilt or die.

The weather conditions at this time of year do remind me how I railed against all the cold, wet weather this area of Arkansas had this past Winter & early Spring.  We could sure use some of that rain right now however.

It was not so long ago that the creek going through my land was full & flooding.  The above photo reminds me of a time when everything was wet, waterlogged & mostly mud.
Now days, the same area of my property -- like all parts of it -- is a dried out, hard-packed, dusty reminder of just how long it has been since we had rain.

Again ... I am in no way trying to suggest the conditions here are the same as in other states.  No ... they have it far worse than it is in central Arkansas.

Actually, one "problem" I have been facing in this hot weather, has affected me more than others.  It has gotten to my "normal" life style & impacted the way I go about tending to my land & property.

The dryness from all the hot, rainless weather has resulted in the authorities ... instituting a BURNING BAN. No fires.  No open flames.  Not even campfires for cooking at a picnic in the state parks. [Potato salad - Okay.  Cooked hamburgers & hot dogs -- Not.]

So ... "Mr.-I-Like-To-Burn-Everything" would be facing a hefty dollar fine for burning anything right now.

Thus, the burn barrel remains unused & the burn pit -- shown freshly dug out & just begging to be piled high with tree limbs, leaves & other "burnables" -- will have to remain unused until the weather changes & conditions become less dangerous for an open fire. Until then ... I've been banned.

2 comments:

  1. I have had similar issues about blogging, between my kid's summer activities and the usual evening war between my wife and daughter right before I go to work things have been draining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those abs or ribs? You need to find yourself a good A.Y.C.E. buffet.

    Earl P.

    ReplyDelete