Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

WHY TURTLES ??

I have kept a turtle or two, at most times in my life, for the past ... well ... just about 60 years.

Turtles are not & can not be ... "pets". I can not recall the initial attraction I felt to them & probably even now can not accurately relate what emotion it is I feel towards them. I just find them ... interesting.

I believe the initial turtle was one my Father brought back with him from a day of fishing.  That one animal somehow led to the life long interest I have had in turtles & the small fortune I have spent over my lifetime acquiring various species of turtles & the cost associated with providing the proper care for my "non-pets".


The cartoon above pretty much tells the story of a "pet" turtle. Feed them & keep them clean. That's it. Turtles stay in their container, don't puke on the rug & there are no crashing noises & screams in the middle of the night. At this home, those things would be associated with cats ... and that's another story.

Why keep turtles ?? I have no idea.

5 comments:

  1. I saved another turtle from the traffic on the road this last week. I like turtles too! CR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to see a turtle in the road which gets about half way across ... & stops !!!

    Those are the ones I fear for & often have to act on the quickest to "save".

    ReplyDelete
  3. those turtles remind you why you want/need to remain a "single" man, huh?

    Earl P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've got tortoises around here. I like them and am so sad when one has been run over. 2 weeks ago the neighbor ran over one with his lawn mower shearing off the top of its shell. They ARE interesting creatures.

    ReplyDelete