Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

REPEATED "VISTORS" & EVENTS

Somethings never seem to change around here.  Events & occurrences may be be repeated more often than I expect them to be.  Cases in point:

While out in the yard yesterday, my Mother -- still visiting from Florida -- called out to me that my cat Wobs, had caught a snake. Naturally, I came running, both to see what Wobs actually had found, & too, to prevent the snake from being maimed/killed by Wobs.



Here is a photo of the snake Wobs had pinned down in the side yard ... just a few feet from the chair my Mother was sitting in a few minutes earlier.

For the benefit of the non-herpetologists viewing this post ... this is a small Copperhead Snake.

And" Yes" ... this is a POISONOUS snake !!

And "No" ... I did not kill it.  I released it -- well away from Wobs & the other cats -- in the more remote area of my property.

Not only is the sighting of various species of snakes a common happening this Spring, but so is my continued difficulty with hand tools.

Cutting & removing some large bamboo from one of the groves on my land, I once again had difficulty with a  hand saw ... determining what was bamboo & what was the flesh of my hand. I guess I am too aggressive with sharp objects.

NOTE TO SELF: Avoid the chain saw as much as possible.

Yes ... snakes & sharp, cutting tools.  Repeated again & again.

5 comments:

  1. Wobs was protecting Hilda!! Good girl, Wobs! Bill, if you had had Mrs. Roome in 1st grade, you would have learned how to use those sharp tools (scissors - the blunt point ones) correctly - and safely. :)
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't "get" not killing a poisonous snake. Especially when a "child" is involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weiner -- Even without her being my 1st grade teacher, I learned a lot from Mrs. Roome.

    And ... I learned EVEN MORE ... from her daughter !!

    Stacey -- As it was, I believe Wobs actually landed a fatal blow to the snake, since the snake was having trouble closing its jaw in the bucket. [But ... no problem keeping it's mouth OPEN !!]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avoid the chain saw as much as possible.

    We HAD an electric one that I purposely burned up after hearing about all the stuff my wife wanted me to cut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chain saws -- like riding a large horse -- make me feel as if I am not in control, which of course, I am not.

    I will follow your advise ... as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete